Good and Bad Genre Names

gumdrops

yeah. its just a default term though isnt it. not much blues (unless you count 'singing the blues') or rhythmic excitement in most of the stiff 808/clap-heavy tracks around at the moment.

mixed_biscuits

As for made-up genres, pace Mr Tea:

jangle - jungle through a high pass filter
dearth metal - doom-laden songs about the recession
drabstep - dubstep

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like Dearth Metal. :)

There are loads of potential '-step' pseudogenres. Pubstep (Chas'n'Dave meet Burial uptown?) and blubstep (emo dubstep), for example.

I'm convinced this ought to be the most righteous genre ever conceived: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Chemical_House

Edit: 'flunk' (Jamiroquai/RHCP/Lenny Kravitz)

Last edited:

dave

the day today tonight
I like
Ponk = pop punk = blink 182 and such
Rugby Techno = 2 unlimited and other euro stuff that was blazed over sports highlights in the 90s = rugbytechno.com*

*disclaimer: it's my website

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tech No Prisoners would be an awesome name for a really uncompromising techno night, label or whatever. Sure it's been done though.

I've heard that terrible modern cod-grunge stuff (you know, Staind, Nickleback etc.) described as 'constipation rock', on account of the inevitably angsty/tormented facial expression and vocal timbre the 'singer' is obliged to affect, which generally just makes him look and sound like he hasn't managed to pass solids for about three days.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Nickleback might just be the worst thing ever. I can't imagine the type of person who enjoys such music.

FairiesWearBoots

I think names are bad in general, once you get into naming themes/sub genres within a sound it tends to push
producers/listeners/promoters/Dj's down fixed paths and this becomes divisive and pushes the sound apart, obv example is drum&bass (too many specific bullshit names/sub genres)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nickleback might just be the worst thing ever. I can't imagine the type of person who enjoys such music.

I'd love to be a music journalist so I could refer to them as Stickleback, I mean pretending that's what I thought they were actually called. See also: intentionally confusing Ryan Adams with Brian Adams.

Pestario

tell your friends
I think names are bad in general, once you get into naming themes/sub genres within a sound it tends to push
producers/listeners/promoters/Dj's down fixed paths and this becomes divisive and pushes the sound apart, obv example is drum&bass (too many specific bullshit names/sub genres)

yes but what will all the poor journalists write about???

FairiesWearBoots

lol, price of FLAC's?

I dunno, I understand the need for general names (similar bpm/influences/themes/beat structures i.e 2 step)
but micro labelling does way more harm than good, imo

again I will always come back to some of the seminal sets from Blue Note days when you heard everything in a set and the crowd WANTED to be challenged, when DnB started being labelled it became liquid/neuro funk (I mean WTF?)/ etc etc and you didnt get the range of sounds in sets/nights

I love the fact that there is a very exciting middle ground/meeting point at the moment that cant be named

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
again I will always come back to some of the seminal sets from Blue Note days when you heard everything in a set and the crowd WANTED to be challenged, when DnB started being labelled it became liquid/neuro funk

Drum and Bass had been divvied up into subgenres long before Neurofunk and Liquid.
Round these parts people call really techy-heavy type stuff (Limewax, Tech Itch, Cooh, Current Value etc etc) Gash which is a fantastic name.