Cassettes

jimitheexploder

All I know is that my car still has a cassette player and my ipod often forgets to get charged up or just gets left at home by acident. Having a few tapes about that I haven't heard a million times since I was 11 is a bonus. So I pick up the odd bit here and there but mostly just record the odd mix from the radio like in the olden days.

outraygeous

I have been thinking about getting a tape deck again only really to see if they do actually sound good and to revive all my old pirate tapes from 20 years ago.

off/on topic i have been listening to tapes and tapes first album alot

slowtrain

They still sell tapes here in NZ....

I think the good thing about 'em is that they can have really long playing times... C90's are great for lengthy lo-fi black metal tunes... Plus they have moving parts

I think they're actually just as convenient as vinyl (OK, maybe a bit less)

luka

the warehouse aka the peoples palace...

my family werent into buying me stuff so i never had a cd player till i was about 17. (no vcr, no video games, i was a deprived child!) so i got everything on tape. i think the last tape i got was liquid swords in about 96. i really like them. they costed a tenner. i used to get one a week.

slowtrain

Do they? In The Warehouse or similar? I haven't seen any...

You're making Nu Zulund sound like the backwater ut is.

I used to buy them from the warehouse (for the old 4-track) - although haven't bought any in about a year... So maybe not now that I think about it (it smells in there)

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Taping my favourite tunes off the chart show on Sunday night was always fun. Must admit, the sight of the one posted earlier did send a bolt of nostaglia straight through my heart. Now they seem to be symbols of some kind of 'cred', either as limited releases or in the sense of 'I've got DJ Fukkup's South Bronx party mix blah blah'. Obvious reaction to digital. Someone mentioned a Pop Group tape the other day, which made me wish I'd kept my player because I have one of their gigs on tape too, along with a couple of my gigs in which I read/ranted poetry whilst someone skronked on sax and clattered on drums...oh it was amazing....really.....

cassettes rock. they sound loads better than mp3s. they don't jump when you accidently slam a cupboard door too hard, like cds do. they're tuff and durable - i used one to scrap ice off the windscreen the other day (without a protective case) - still plays fine.
okay, occasionally one will get chewed up. but no format is perfect.
i'm doing a double-cassette release with mordant music next year. we're calling it "2xC45".

nochexxx

harco pronting
no they don't! and besides, that probably has as much to do with your speakers than anything else.

*cough* yes they do! at least from my perspective. this argument is largely dependent on where your own tastes lie as an audiophile.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I have fond memories of cassettes, probably bound up with killing music by home taping in the late 80s. Though most of mine were of chart shows recorded dutifully at 5pm every Sunday. Probably still got most of them somewhere......

grizzleb

Even as a relative youngster I still have fond memories of casettes. They were still used in various mates cars up until very recently. Crunchy warm sound of distortion and car stereos.

skull kid

^this. a good quality cassette tape will sound better than an mp3 every day of the week

i've been enjoying the touch-affiliated tapeworm label, some really cool conceptual stuff like stefan goldmann's tape that makes use of the auto-reverse function to create an endless loop that the listener can navigate freely

that forthcoming mordant music/ekoplekz tape sounds sick