News of the World phone hacking scandal

hucks

Your Message Here
I don't know what his class politics are, but he's written some very admiring stuff about Cameron, claiming he could be touched by greatness. Think that probably relates to deficit-slashing and doing away with the more Bufton Tufton Tories. Very big on straight dealing though (he absolutely loathes Blair), so suspicious of the PR man in Cam and his gang.

To be honest, I'm probably wrong. I don't tknow where I got that from. Anyway. His book The Triumph of the Political Class is good.

Also, this response from Conservative Home (who are soooo second rate) is a good laugh.

crackerjack

To be honest, I'm probably wrong. I don't tknow where I got that from. Anyway. His book The Triumph of the Political Class is good.

Also, this response from Conservative Home (who are soooo second rate) is a good laugh.

Montgomerie is a clown. I used to follow him on Twitter as a token Tory, but gave up cos he's just a right-wing automaton. Now I just make do with Fraser Nelson, who's a cunt, but smarter and more in touch with right-wing thought.

Funnily enough, both Nelson and Monty were slagging off the BBC last year for following the Guardian's lead in reporting hackergate (sorry) back when none of the other papers were touching it. I warned them at the time they'd look stupid when Coulson quit. This week I asked them if they regretted their earlier stance. No reply :( Guess Nelson's too busy demanding Orwell prizes for Oborne.

crackerjack

NOTW being wound up.
Last one on Sunday.

That's just shocking news. And not good. I feel sorry for (some of) the people losing their jobs, but they obviously figured this is the only way to turn the story round.

James Murdoch doesn't give a shit about papers - it's all about TV for him.

alex

Do not read this.
lol

Small consolation really, the Sun will just get more effort put into it.. fucking rag

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess this is the final desperate attempt to draw a line under the whole affair and basically sacrifice the NotW for the greater good of News International. Wonder if it will work - probably not if they find evidence that Brooks was involved (which must be out there somewhere) cos she's not at the NotW now.

Leo

murdoch is an evil genius: makes it look like he's closing NOTW for moral reasons, when it's actually a shrewd business decision. very few (if any) advertisers were going to continue buying ad space, and tons of readers were never going to buy it again, so he's essentially axed a tainted paper and shifted resources to the sun, which is speculated to be going 7 days a week.

crackerjack

murdoch is an evil genius: makes it look like he's closing NOTW for moral reasons, when it's actually a shrewd business decision. very few (if any) advertisers were going to continue buying ad space, and tons of readers were never going to buy it again, so he's essentially axed a tainted paper and shifted resources to the sun, which is speculated to be going 7 days a week.

We'll see. He's not that clever if he's keeping Wade on.

Would love to know what she's got on him.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/07/07/is-murdoch-free-to-destroy-tabloids-records/

If News of the World is to be liquidated, Stephens told Reuters, it “is a stroke of genius—perhaps evil genius.”

Under British law, Stephens explained, all of the assets of the shuttered newspaper, including its records, will be transferred to a professional liquidator (such as a global accounting firm). The liquidator’s obligation is to maximize the estate’s assets and minimize its liabilities. So the liquidator could be well within its discretion to decide News of the World would be best served by defaulting on pending claims rather than defending them. That way, the paper could simply destroy its documents to avoid the cost of warehousing them—and to preclude any other time bombs contained in News of the World’s records from exploding.

sufi

lala
We'll see. He's not that clever if he's keeping Wade on.

Would love to know what she's got on him.
brooks has dirt on murdoch jr, who has the dirt on cam no doubt

uff, stinking stinking to high heaven, can't wait to see what tomoro will dredge up :D

crackerjack

Don't understand this at all. NotW isn't a company, it's a paper published by News International or News Corp or whatever they're called. And it hasn't gone into liquidation, it's a brand being closed by its owner.

Anyway, regardless, there's an ongoing police investigation (which everyone involved accepts is now being done properly). I refuse to believe they can't prevent mass evidence destruction.

crackerjack

brooks has dirt on murdoch jr, who has the dirt on cam no doubt

uff, stinking stinking to high heaven, can't wait to see what tomoro will dredge up :D

Starting to give serious thought to the idea that this might bring Cameron down...

And the coalition with it :)

sufi

lala
not sure this is really correct, the readers love to see the celebs filthy laundry and don't take the dead kids taboo as seriously as the media/political public circus, and they don't really give 2 fucks if the royals phones get tapped,
the point is it's against the law, and NOTW/NI are effectively above the law on this as noone is capable of holding them to account

i like k-punk take on this all bringing in harigate and the rest,
and the image someone made of murdoch beast shedding a slimy tentacle to grow ever stronger on the bskyb bid
tumblr_lg0ahoPeAq1qzyn85o1_500.jpg

Leo

not sure this is really correct, the readers love to see the celebs filthy laundry and don't take the dead kids taboo as seriously as the media/political public circus, and they don't really give 2 fucks if the royals phones get tapped,
the point is it's against the law, and NOTW/NI are effectively above the law on this as noone is capable of holding them to account.

but there are plenty of other equally sleazy tabloids where they can those same stories, aren't there? the money is in the advertising, and advertisers are regularly shamed into boycotting a particular media outlet (especially if they can essentially reach the same audience through a different media outlet).