News of the World phone hacking scandal

IdleRich

IdleRich
What are the chances now of a) Coulson being done for perjury b) Rebecca Wade/Brooks going and c) Yates keeping his job?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes, good news indeed. I think at the time when she said that Coulson (who was also there) interrupted her and tried to pretend that she had said something different because he realised straight away that it was illegal.
I love the way that Brooks is arguing that when she said to the Commons committee

"(NoW) had paid police for information in the past"

It didn't mean that NoW had necessarily paid police for information in the past. And this is because

"My intention was simply to comment generally on the widely-held belief that payments had been made in the past to police officers"
What does that even mean?
Anyway, they're not gonna look to favourably on her after refusing to come back and clarify things are they?

Also, I enjoyed the bit in the Hunt's response to Prescott that

'the merger involved two established reputable media enterprises when they discussed it in November'"
The implicature there being that it doesn't any more. I suppose that the wider issue is that the reputability issue was dealt with then and however disreputable the company becomes it can have no bearing on the plurality discussion which is all that is yet to be decided. That may be the letter of the law but if so it's fucking bollocks.

crackerjack

Tom Watson says it seems one of the Soham parents was hacked too. Really there needs to be a full judicial inquiry now. Shamefully none of the tabs are putting it front page. This goes way beyond NotW

IdleRich

IdleRich
Are News International still paying for Mulcaire's defence? Seems he is the key to the whole thing and if he can be persuaded/forced to spill the beans it seems clear that it would implicate Brooks, Coulson etc etc

crackerjack

Are News International still paying for Mulcaire's defence? Seems he is the key to the whole thing and if he can be persuaded/forced to spill the beans it seems clear that it would implicate Brooks, Coulson etc etc

There was talk on Newsnight of 5 'princes of darkness' at NotW who had the power to authorise Mulcaire's activities. Let's have their names and get them jailed.

crackerjack

This is unmissable, brutal. What a fucking worthless piece of shit the PCC is.

I gather Hugh Grant did himself proud on World at 1 again too.

crackerjack

C4 News tonight v ery interesting.

The Met are sooooooo bent.

Snow's interview with squirming NI lawyer also hugely entertaining.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Rebekah Brooks "I hope that you all realise it is inconceivable that I knew - or worse - sanctioned these appalling allegations."
Actually now that I think about it maybe it's cleverer than I realised - she obviously didn't sanction the allegations, she sanctioned the actions to which the allegations refer.