Jackin' / Electroline

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Always suprises me when people rate Marcus Nasty, I've never found him to be that good, espesh in a club when I've heard him, I've heard some car crash funky sets from him in clubs, cant bring myeself to see him play jackin haha. He's alright on radio mind.

Remember seeing him play in 2009, and it was one of the best sets I've ever heard out. Tbh I wouldn't necessarily notice if the Dj-ing wasn't perfect (it was more than passable though), but the tune selection was incredibly good.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think Brackles wouldn't see himself as a jackin' DJ and therefore it's not surprising that he isn't digging too deep for it, but I think he deserves credit for being on it at all. I don't imagine many DJs on Rinse are checking for jackin' tunes (although this is a bit of a supposition cos I don't listen to Rinse much).

I also reckon now that he's playing it and selecting it on quite highly downloaded mixes there's bound to be more communication between him and jackin' producers/DJs so I guess the tunes will be less played out.

Mind you for someone like me who doesn't know about the jackin' scene these tunes are far from played out.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is the thing I hate about the internet. There is room for everyone.

Both heavy DJs. Been meaning to do a show with Brackles for a while.. Will holla him

I would love to hear this.

datwun could you direct me to some more sets in the style of that Ill Phil set benny posted? I didn't like that hannah wants mix much.

wise

bare BARE BONES
this one's pretty good to my ears, quite varied but really well done.

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">
this is good too

i'm slowly working my way through the sc jackin mixes
None of the Jackin djs seem to play any of the dancehall sampling Jackin tunes i've got, someone must play em, surely...

Datwun can you id the first tune in the thomas graham mix, its fairly straightforward house, but really good.

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
Brand new one from Donkey Punch

wise

bare BARE BONES
new Shorterz mix

seems like a split is developing with quite a few former Jackers now describing their music as House & Bass, can anyone elaborate on this?

Benny Bunter

seems like a split is developing with quite a few former Jackers now describing their music as House & Bass, can anyone elaborate on this?

I wouldn't read too much into that tbh, House and bass is just one of those vague catch-all terms for, well...anything with a 4x4 beat and a big bassline.

edit: I see that shorterz mix is also tagged with 'Gabba', 'Donk', 'Swag' and 'TECHNOBASTARDS' :)

Last edited:
They can both be wicked yeah, but I've just found Oneman really frustrating to listen to for a while now. Its all over the shop.

But yeah to my ears Jackin' needs something else to help push it over to make it fun for me, mixing it with stuff Brackles and DJ Q do is a step in the right direction for me. On its own its all kind of dead out for me from hearing all jackin mixes. Always suprises me when people rate Marcus Nasty, I've never found him to be that good, espesh in a club when I've heard him, I've heard some car crash funky sets from him in clubs, cant bring myeself to see him play jackin haha. He's alright on radio mind.
People rate Marcus cause he listens to no one's opinion but his own when it comes to pushing new music, and time usually tells he was right. Plus he's got one of the most unique mixing styles on UK dance music, applying the fast-mixing/quick-cutting style typical of grime to groovy house music in a very natural way.

It's actually a bit sad that the same thing that happened to him with UK funky is going on all over again, with a lot of people despising what he plays until it gets validated by some of the more 'serious' djs like Brackles and Oneman. Props to these two though, they're both really good djs and the 'serious' thing has nothing to do with them, I know for a fact they are completely honest about what they play. It's just that the people that listen to them sometimes, ergh...

How do you download the Brackles Crazylegs mix? is there something like a soundcloud embedding that is not loading for me or am I being an idiot and not seeing it?

jimitheexploder

There is a button that says download just under the little heart icon or on the acctual soundcloud page a down arrow with a line under it.

I guess he does have that going for him. I've still never heard him pull off anything but really bad mixing and bait selection in clubs tho.

He's always on the bill for stuff like Crazy Legs too so he gets a lot of props from that trendy crew.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Looks like the first Certified Jackin' event is going ahead:

Interesting that they are using YouTube views on the flyer to promote the strength of the name.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Listened to the CJ - Ill Phil mix, Marcus Nasty 2.31 takeover, the new Donkey Punch and Sweetbeat mixes today.

I really enjoyed the Ill Phil, surprised at how chilled most of it was though, seemed a bit out of place when he goes into the proper Jackin near the end, the last track was terrible, not even sure what you'd call that sort of music.
Enjoyed the Marcus Nasty show as well, I know someone else on here said they weren't that taken with it, but I thought the 2.31 boys played pretty banging sets (could have done without Jamie George but isn't that always true).
The Donkey Punch & Sweet Beat mixes were fine but didn't really stand out of the crowd.
Got to try that Swagger mix thanks for the recommendation Nato.

The Thomas Graham is still the best & funnest one i've heard.
Most of the others have been surprisingly deepish garage house for the most part (not that that's any bad thing, just wasn't really what I was expecting).

I think I listened the new Shorterz as well and it was good, he plays Snap Backs & Tattoos on there so it can't be that played out.

wise

bare BARE BONES
can anyone id a tune for me, it was in one of the mixes I listened to today but I can't find which one it was now.
It's got a northern mc going on about how fucked up his night was, how he lost his keys his car,etc, a bit like the Streets. Funny tune

wise

bare BARE BONES
probably the first youtube channel to venture into club promotion, I wonder how it'll go.

that new Disclosure tune seems to be big with the Jackers, wish there was an instrumental version...

banshee

can anyone id a tune for me, it was in one of the mixes I listened to today but I can't find which one it was now.
It's got a northern mc going on about how fucked up his night was, how he lost his keys his car,etc, a bit like the Streets. Funny tune

Burkie - The Hangover