shakahislop

eye contact is different in london vs nyc. there's a lot more of it. people kept looking at me today (in london). it's more direct, people hide it less. in nyc making eye contact like that more or less counts as flirting. it was really noticeable, not a small thing.

luka

a woman from new york stopped at my office yesterday and says she does the same thing in new york
so i let her take over for a bit while i went to get a sandwich.

shakahislop

you might look really bizarre possibly?
it's always a possibility when you notice a lot of people looking at you. the other possibility is that everyone fancies you. but i don't think i did look particularly bizarre yesterday. i'd like to believe that everyone fancies me but unfortunately it's not true. it's a cultural thing i think, a micro cultural thing.

shakahislop

i went for a walk round notting hill. there's so much more space than in nyc, so many fewer people cluttering up the streets. notting hill felt like a far distant queens suburb beyond the subway line. edgeware road was a different story. london is a lot less boisterous.

shakahislop

west london is pretty sedate anyway.
yeah. but nyc doesn't have an equivalent of that anywhere near the centre. it's not like notting hill is some periphery. nyc is relentless in that respect. there's not a chill place in manhattan really. its more like delhi or karachi

luka

yeah theres a few out there like i say this girl that was with me yesterday does central park and she says theres others who have their spots including washington sq park

luka

it was interesting chatting cos she said the last two summers have been really bad and theyve been really bad for us too. not sure why cos the two springs have been record breaking.

shakahislop

there's a girl who paints herself silver who dances in washington square park every day. she's there every time i go. i don't think she's collecting money. she looks like she's getting blown around in a storm.

shakahislop

the dogs are all nutters. my girlfriend was a dogwalker for a bit. we went from house to house picking up dog after dog. hanging around in dog parks. noticeably odder, less well adjusted dogs. it's not a big leap of imagination to think that a similar thing happens to the people. the pressures are the same, everyone living in tiny flats, relentless noise. there is a certain madness to people there. you get into it

luka

im following the righteous path of islam at the moment or i would command you to come and drink 14 lagers with me.