shakahislop

shaka are you wearing an oversized hockey jersey and wrap around shades?
over time i've started to dress more american. which means putting some effort in. it's hard to get away with putting uk levels of effort into what you look like in new york. the visual culture is much more advanced there. or at least it's much more important. so much communication is taking place through clothes and hair etc. people are highly attuned to it. for example this fit that you're dreaming of would be a no-no in nyc. it's the one thing you can't do, look like a normal american from the midwest. that gets you treated with disdain. that's what half the people here there are escaping from, rejecting. you can't look like you're getting out an SUV in a walmart parking lot to buy four hundred cans of coke

shakahislop

there's two pejoratives in nyc that i don't think london has an equivalent for. 'transplants' and 'bridge and tunnel'. transplants being anyone whose moved there from somewhere else in america (international migrants don't count). bridge and tunnel being the people who come into the city from long island and new jersey for the day, for the night, for the weekend etc

to be fair the bridge and tunnel people often don't know how to act and they are fucking annoying, getting wasted and being loud. but on the other hand you have to have a bit of sympathy for the lads having fun.

there's a whole component of nyc which doesn't like the rest of america seeping in. i don't think london has that.

luka

the only person i spoke to in london was a guy from brooklyn. he built the soundsystem in public records
this is pretty nakedly a cry for help and it makes me feel really sad. we need to show him a good time cos he is really lonely.

luka

im going to go to the office in a bit but it might rain. you can bring me a coffee and a sandwich and i will talk to you about life, but im not drinking at present so shiels will have to take you out for 14 pints and a large quantity of cocaine.

luka

it will have to be shiels cos corpsey is a neurotic and cant go out in public, wektor is getting over a breakup and hes really morose. shiels has albanians on speed dial and the cocaine will arrive in minutes plus he likes to drink lager and he lives in hackney, heart of the action, supermodels everywhere

version

it's the one thing you can't do, look like a normal american from the midwest. that gets you treated with disdain. that's what half the people here there are escaping from, rejecting. you can't look like you're getting out an SUV in a walmart parking lot to buy four hundred cans of coke

Surely there are people doing it ironically and getting away with it? There's got to be people in the BCM dressing like Fox News dads or something "as a bit".

luka

ive got a feeling that shaka is totally blind to all signs and signals, semiotically illiterate thats why he cant read london style, he didnt notice it. he just sees new york girls in tight jeans and high heels like posh spice and thinks its the height of sophistication

the-best-dad-shoes-of-all-time.jpg

shakahislop

Surely there are people doing it ironically and getting away with it? There's got to be people in the BCM dressing like Fox News dads or something "as a bit".
don't know. probably there's someone. @sus will know more than i do. i don't see much ironic dressing in general. maybe the time for that has passed - the world and particularly brooklyn is earnest these days. also possible that i just don't get it when i see it.

shakahislop

ive got a feeling that shaka is totally blind to all signs and signals, semiotically illiterate thats why he cant read london style, he didnt notice it. he just sees new york girls in tight jeans and high heels like posh spice and thinks its the height of sophistication

the-best-dad-shoes-of-all-time.jpg
i probably can't read it to be fair coz i've not spent much time there and you kind of need a lot of exposure for something like that.

shakahislop

in about 2019 i got some massive camo shorts and wore a hunters cap from a shooting range i went to in houston years ago. i got some real aggro with that look. people looked at me on the subway like they hated me. one accept i almost never hear in nyc is a (US) southern one, weirdly.

when i first got to nyc in the winter i wore big baggy hoodies like what i'd worn forever in england and people thought i was going to jump them. in england there's still some caché to looking like trouble i think.