shakahislop

the 00s generated a certain kind of young traveller. europeans in eight bed dormitories. full moon parties on thai islands. a certain penchant for grit and grime. and a lot of beers. people travelling to meet other travellers. the 20s are generating quite a different type i think

luka

“An ugly thing, that is what you are when you become a tourist, an ugly, empty thing, a stupid thing, a piece of rubbish pausing here and there to gaze at this and taste that, and it will never occur to you that the people who inhabit the place in which you have just paused cannot stand you,”

was just reading this https://www.vox.com/culture/23798890/american-tourists-travel-trends-vacation-optimization and was wondering, is that a new thing that the whole of usa goes to europe in the summer or is that something recent?
here

luka

i really like air b&b to stay in. it's brilliant. you can smoke fags on the balcony. you can be in a neighbourhood.

Reactions: sus

luka

my building has key boxes outside so i guess its got air b&b places but ive never spoken to anyone here in the 10 years ive lived here. i hardly even ever see another person here and it's a big block.

luka

im really scrupulous about avoiding neighbours. i never want to be on speaking terms with any neighbour. hygeine and mental health depends on it.

Benny Bunter

Yeah, the attraction is obvious. I don't blame people for doing it cos it's available, but it should definitely be cracked down on, the locals fucking hate it.

It's illegal in our building but it's definitely been going on the last few years. I think there's a well off family who own a flat here but don't live in it much and they rent it out most of the year. You can make a killing when the big festivals like Semana Santa and the feria are on. Most of the time it's not even foreigners that come, it's people from other parts of spain

sus

Yeah, the attraction is obvious. I don't blame people for doing it cos it's available, but it should definitely be cracked down on, the locals fucking hate it.

It's illegal in our building but it's definitely been going on the last few years. I think there's a well off family who own a flat here but don't live in it much and they rent it out most of the year. You can make a killing when the big festivals like Semana Santa and the feria are on. Most of the time it's not even foreigners that come, it's people from other parts of spain
Yeah the upcharge can be nuts. Places in Sao Miguel and Flores that rent for €300 a month can get that in a night through Air BnB, and be booked solid for four months of summer. 10x return. The islanders who capitalized on it moved up a full socioeconomic class within fiveish years. You could see it in progress as you traveled through

luka

new people have been bred. the internet and all that has been around for long enough now. people who interact with foreign places in a new different way
not even just foreign places. you never used to see queues at resturaunts in this country. in asia, yeah, but not in the uk. funny viral resturaunts eg queuing up all day to eat a small bowl of probably average spaghetti right in front of the traffic on borough high st toothless beggars hassling you for change
IMG_8857.JPG

linebaugh

new people have been bred. the internet and all that has been around for long enough now. people who interact with foreign places in a new different way

not even just foreign places. you never used to see queues at resturaunts in this country. in asia, yeah, but not in the uk. funny viral resturaunts eg queuing up all day to eat a small bowl of probably average spaghetti right in front of the traffic on borough high st toothless beggars hassling you for change
IMG_8857.JPG

linebaugh

I love to travel for all the reasons luka hates it. All you have to do is kill time but you get an energy boost from the new enviornment. At home in those circumstances you invariably end up staring at the wall in some form or another

linebaugh

I dont mind fumbling through an order in another language at a cafe or restraunt. Outside of outlier cases theres no reason to get upset while working the counter at a food place and I think lesser of those that do

shakahislop

travel can be a thousand things obviously. the concept contains multitudes. it can be a jealousy inducer / jealousy response for example. can act as a conversational device in that respect. a way to shift an interaction in one way or another. a status symbol.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
London fucks you up

that's alright. full psychosis nutter crew. better than Spain. Much worse than Italy Spain is. Bland party women with love for the most bland chart pop with their bland real madrid supporting boyfriends. Not surprised Benny likes Daniel Bedingfield for that reason. Italian women are like Polish women though, full nerdcore. Maybe not at that level granted, Poland most muslim country in christian Europe alongside Ireland mashallah, but still.

This song is pure london. I don't mean in term of signifiers, in that sense it has more in common with Germany and Belgium, but in terms of paranoia. Germans can't match the old mampi swift. Do u know what mampi means biscetto? dnb resolved the transgender debate even before dissensus existed.

luka

was talking to Gus about how grotesquely ugly Londoners and New Yorkers are. warped, deformed, twisted out of shape, terrible pallid, jaundiced complexions, greasy, hunched over, but often with a kind of charisma in their deformity that makes them attractive

whereas californians radiate health and vitality. they really glow. just looking at them makes you fel positive about life. it's like they are a plant that unfolded according to the perfect innate blueprint. no ill wind bent a single limb out of shape. their smiles are so symmetrical and bright.