blissblogger

i haven't read it but i listened to an hour of interview with them the other day. there was nothing egregious, it was a bit boring really.

a question for the dissensus massive, on the books side of things, is there much of a literature on the US side of 'raving' etc? obviously on the uk side we have the work of young upstart @blissblogger and so on. am sure there's loads on early house and techno but i keep hearing people talk about the equivalent of free parties in the US.

Two excellent historical accounts of North American rave culture

719z3OneQbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
de986fa6fa198ff59eea1b100705231f2c1d1d46.jpg

The Matos one is more recent and detailed... whereas the Scott one was written well before the EDM explosion of the 2010s.... She's Canadian so it really is North America not just the USA (there's a good chapter on Toronto's Anglophile rave scene). Don't be put off by the "New School Dancescapes" subtitle, which I never noticed before!

mixed_biscuits

Imagine reading this if you're mentally disabled and you are already always concerned about social blunders - now you feel even more nervous about going out, but you now feel even further marginalized by these people that are supposedly so concerned about social justice (but it seems only ever when it seems to come to race/sex/lgbtq+) because you feel like one unintentional social blunder might blow up in your face
Imagine how you feel if you're white with immediate black genetic heritage:

tweet.png

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Watched a bit (and I do mean a bit) of that "Scala" documentary last night and wondered if any Londoners here ever went there.

Another of those intriguing and depressing hints that London used to be a lot more fun

luka

doesnt even know who was bestowing the favour, just went along with it. it was dark. it was all a blur. rocky horror picture show was showing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like the idea of it but I think in reality I'd be far too square to go to a place like that

Do you even get midnight screenings in London now? (Patiently awaits a link to a list of 600 happening this evening)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I thought that would burst the bubble

I guess it enriched the already rich so they could buy more luxury flats

luka

its definitely now the worst version of london ever to exist. worse than the aftermath of the blitz i expect.