What do I need to know to be a Proper Grown Up?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
try, in the split second before seating yourself, just pinching the material of the trouser leg material across the thigh and lifting the leg upwards and inch or so, so you can see your ankle bones whilst seated - a small change but it could make all the difference.

Ha! Good one - done to avoid trousers getting baggy at the knees, but irrelevant now that no-one wears 'proper' trousers except to work in the office, of course.

Most Proper Grown Ups I've ever met have been boring as hell. I've rarely met PGU's on the domestic/career treadmill that still dream, play, create, or dare allow the mask of Proper Manhood to slip.

bob effect

somnambulist
Grown up is buying toilet roll and kitchen roll and then actually buying some more toilet roll before it runs out so you don't have to use the kitchen roll as toilet roll. All else is lies.

you

I'd disagree, PGU's can use trainers - but, as I understand it, there must not be a visible air bubble in the sole and under no circumstances should there be velcro

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
No, trainers are a betrayal of the true, classic PGU ethos (circa 1971!). But if pushed, I'd allow a classic, smart, minimalist Italian trainer, in brown preferably (which is my rule anyway, although not in total detail, because anything else, ie white, thick-soled or JD Sports-style is plain naff). So there. Music? Bacharach not B-Boy...but I'm getting trapped in the 60/70s, admittedly. Burial fans are probably already citing him as PGU music compared to something currently being made by a teenage rude boy ranting patois through a megaphone to the sound of, er, a pit bull bark looped over...um...a Dyson bass line...I think that's what's 'in' now, I'm not sure...

Client Eastwood

No, trainers are a betrayal of the true, classic PGU ethos (circa 1971!). But if pushed, I'd allow a classic, smart, minimalist Italian trainer, in brown preferably (which is my rule anyway, although not in total detail, because anything else, ie white, thick-soled or JD Sports-style is plain naff). So there. Music? Bacharach not B-Boy...but I'm getting trapped in the 60/70s, admittedly. Burial fans are probably already citing him as PGU music compared to something currently being made by a teenage rude boy ranting patois through a megaphone to the sound of, er, a pit bull bark looped over...um...a Dyson bass line...I think that's what's 'in' now, I'm not sure...

I bought some trainers last week. I still wear jeans and and a basic no logo T shirt. Can someone bump this who is > 40?.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?4976-Clothes/page69

Looks at Eden?, Dust? and Grevious Angel? Who else is > 40 on board ?

Leo

Who else is > 40 on board ?

me...and still wear plenty of jeans/t-shirt/sneakers (trainers). then again, i'm self-employed and don't have to look grown up. still enjoy pulling off a night in a paul smith suit and proper shoes when i feel like it/need to, but don't do it often.

i recon being a PGU is actually more a matter of feeling comfortable in doing whatever you feel like doing, not what is stereotypically "expected" of you by society. there comes a point when you just don't worry or care much what other people expect or think.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I bought some trainers last week. I still wear jeans and and a basic no logo T shirt. Can someone bump this who is > 40?.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?4976-Clothes/page69

Looks at Eden?, Dust? and Grevious Angel? Who else is > 40 on board ?

I smartened up a bit post 40, have stopped wearing obvious logos or designs mostly, no rips on jeans. I'm trying to find a decent tailor so I don't have concertina legs on my trousers/jeans anymore, being useless at that myself. Not looking so frayed, at least on the bottom half. A bit of fray round the cuffs is always a good look though I think.

I like seeing older guys in trainers, guys round my way wear the reebok/jeans/ironed short sleeved shirt down the pub and I like it, it looks vaguely intimidating, and casually sexual. It's hard to wear real shoes with jeans, so that then means shifting to trousers, which I've found hard unless I'm wearing a suit. I am actively looking in that direction though. I'm finding vintage clothing harder to wear, which makes me sad, being a lifelong secondhand clothes man. But it's exciting trying to find new clothes that look old.

Oh and if I do wear shoes or boots unless I'm goin to a squat, I polish them before I go out. That feels well grown up, and slightly sexual. I spent an hour in a squaddie's pub a while back being given the lowdown on how to get a proper shine. It was a very weird conversation.

I don't think you HAVE to do any things as you get older - growing old disgracefully is a dream, I have high hopes of an opium habit if I reach 60 - but I've started to feel stupid when I put on some of my old clothes, i just think 'nah mate, you can't pull that off anymore'.

Vim got it right though. The only thing that separates PGUs from Nons is buying software. It's like the biggest occult initiation ever. You're instantly adultine.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
No-one's mentioned a paunch (for men, although young girls with pizza habits seem to get them quick nowadays) - they're PGU, with a beard, pushing a buggy, discussing mortgages, your child's education, health concerns etc. The current emerging gen of PGUs will obviously (as has been suggested) all still be wearing t-shirt/jeans/trainer combo although, as Mistersloane suggested, P shoes are a big step up. I suggest straight cut (not skinny) Levis with Loakes.

you

those weird clarks work shoes, not particularly smart or casual just brown or black strange lace ups with a round toe and a rubber sole are very grown up aren't they, you always see an old bloke wearing them, but you never see them worn by anyone in pubs or clubs or young folk - train drivers might wear them.....

Client Eastwood

No-one's mentioned a paunch (for men, although young girls with pizza habits seem to get them quick nowadays) - they're PGU, with a beard, pushing a buggy, discussing mortgages, your child's education, health concerns etc. The current emerging gen of PGUs will obviously (as has been suggested) all still be wearing t-shirt/jeans/trainer combo although, as Mistersloane suggested, P shoes are a big step up. I suggest straight cut (not skinny) Levis with Loakes.

Yeah 501's from natural blue and let them fade with brown shoes when not in Adidas trainers. Do all Loakes have leather soles ? (slipped in a pair of leather soles and never again), still like some of the Clarkes range, proper comfortable.

And thanks to however suggested the The Economist. I've been reading the website and am thinking of subbing to to it.

edit : I still have no idea about m0ney_s4ving_3xpert type of things, not done much switching between providers. I get Which for free but read about three pages of it. I'm sure I could save more money but it bores me stupid tho' i'm skint. I guess that a PGU does on a regular basis.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
those weird clarks work shoes, not particularly smart or casual just brown or black strange lace ups with a round toe and a rubber sole are very grown up aren't they, you always see an old bloke wearing them, but you never see them worn by anyone in pubs or clubs or young folk - train drivers might wear them.....

wallabees?

clarksWallalow_oiled.jpg

i've had 2 pairs, they're really comfortable and endorsed by the rza

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I like seeing older guys in trainers, guys round my way wear the reebok/jeans/ironed short sleeved shirt down the pub and I like it, it looks vaguely intimidating, and casually sexual.
Yeah, I think you're on point with this - and in a less smart way, generic white or black trainers with jeans and a plain T-shirt are fairly standard dad wear these days. In fact, I'd say that giving too much of a shit about the semiotics of your clothes probably marks you out as not a proper grown up anyway - by talking about "classic smart minimalist Italian trainers" Slim Jenkins immediately marks himself out as not a being one, more a slightly obsessive neo-mod or (less probably) a management-material young professional.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Those shoes are the living 'I'm cheating on my wife' shoes. If I was a woman and my man came home wearin them, I'd dash him out the house in a second, right in front of the neighbours n all. I'd be like 'What SLAG you been FUCKIN then? GET OUT MY HOUSE!'.

They're like the gambler's tell of cheating. I wouldn't wear them.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yeah, I think you're on point with this - and in a less smart way, generic white or black trainers with jeans and a plain T-shirt are fairly standard dad wear these days. In fact, I'd say that giving too much of a shit about the semiotics of your clothes probably marks you out as not a proper grown up anyway - by talking about "classic smart minimalist Italian trainers" Slim Jenkins immediately marks himself out as not a being one, more a slightly obsessive neo-mod or (less probably) a management-material young professional.

:D

I ain't a PGU that's for sure - as my 'missus' (who I'm not married to) reminds me when laying into me on a related subject. Re trainers, I got my preference mixed up with what PGUs really wear. Only in Italian cities do PGUs look the business. Here most wear bad suits.

PGUs have shares.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
nah they are way too classic and stylish I was thinking of something even more non-descript and functional

shoes_iaec1085885.jpg

eurgh, those! the ultimate functional footware. the kind of thing you see for sale in the back of the daily mail. don't forget that nerds also wear this kind of thing.

Client Eastwood

eurgh, those! the ultimate functional footware. the kind of thing you see for sale in the back of the daily mail. don't forget that nerds also wear this kind of thing.

^^ They are horrible. As are the Wallabies, that crimping makes them look like a pie.

I was thinking on these lines.
clarks-desert-boots-front.jpg

Last edited: