Should I be ashamed?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
After Timbo/Neptunes had their day.

Around then Puff was hanging round Pacha with Morillo and Tim Deluxe and Mixmag was doing all this hype around '4 My People' and D12 getting off there heads but it didn't really materialise in pop till 07 maybe and that was probably more to so with Trash and Soulwax and all the gigolo stuff getting sucked into indie and Justice and SMD emerging and now it's all in reverse with Steve Anglo playing Kings of Leon remixes :confused: Though that's only this side of the Atlantic.

Don't why all the US stuff went housey as it is now, Deadmau5?. Rianna did that soft cell remix thing
Bit like trance or 2step years ago depending on where you where I suppose.

The Sinden/diplo fidget thing too. Hasn't Beyoncé done a vocal for the pon the floor track?

Last edited:

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
When did the crossover start? Was it with Puffy on the floor at DC10 3 or 4 years ago?

It's a tricky question, this, and one I've given a fair bit of thought to. I mean, there's been hip-house records for as long as there's been hip-hop, but the big arpeggiated synth/trance stylings have only been a factor in the last few years. I recall there was a DJ Hell/Puffy team-up circa 2004ish, but Hell's sound isn't the big arpeggiated synth business that so dominates these days. One of the first I can remember is Usher's 'Love In this Club' which Discogs tells me is from 2008, and Wiz Khalifa's 'Say Yeah' (which samples Alice Deejay, amusingly) is also of a similar vintage.

One key factor (I think) is cheap (or cracked) production software taking the means of production out of the hands of the established elite. It's telling that Fruityloops' default tempo is 140, and most of the preset sounds are geared more towards dance/trance than traditional r&b sounds. The in-built arpeggiator is a pretty simple but effective tool also. Is it a case of the software having an impact on the music? I like this theory.

I think the Black Eyed Peas are largely to blame ('Boom Boom Pow' was monolithically huge, the world over, and, most importantly, in America), that and unimaginative A&R men seeking copycat hits, but don't underestimate the influence that Timbaland had on this. He effectively jettisoned his trademark choppy style around 2007 with "The Way I Are" and went for a 4/4 Euro sound, which he's pursued ever since. Where Timbo leads, many others follow - by tacitly 'approving' this sound his legions of fans and imitators started taking these sounds onboard. (He deserves to be punched in his fat neck for calling it "The Way I Are" - ungrammatical swine.)

EDIT: just read Sectionfive's post, that all makes sense too. Some further thought has led me to believe that this was the earliest example, from 2006. Luda's always rhymed over fast beats, though, so it's quite logical that he'd be one of the first.

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
Ah yeah... Timbaland. I remember reading that the synth track in "My Love" was gated using a loop from "Age Of Love":
I suppose in my mind I always saw it as 2 separate movements though -

Hip Hop / RnB tracks using sounds from Euro / Trance (which is more a byproduct of producers scrolling through presets I think)

vs

Hip Hop / RnB artists essentially putting vocals on Euro / Trance-style records, which is what we have now

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
darren emerson lake and palmer lol

funny how often u get them teeth-whitening synths basically playing guitar lines like they're copying that guy from coldplay. so musical heh .. midicontrollerkeyboard + vst = new strat etc

fucking hate that pitbull track but that bennybenassichrisbrown thing is stonecold emotionalz

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Has there been a big resurgence in ecstasy use in US clubs in the last few years, do you think? Maybe there's even been some influence from the Great Mephedrone Madness of 2009/10?

trza

When the Jersey Shore gang made a video with Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull, i watched it over and over again. The Jersey Shore website has a free download of a track titled "Fist Pump Figaro". They are the new role models for teenagers across the country, macho yet stylish, willing to dance and play trance records in awful nightclubs, jumping head first into concrete walls. The whole culture is changing.

bruno

est malade
When the Jersey Shore gang made a video with Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull, i watched it over and over again. The Jersey Shore website has a free download of a track titled "Fist Pump Figaro". They are the new role models for teenagers across the country, macho yet stylish, willing to dance and play trance records in awful nightclubs, jumping head first into concrete walls. The whole culture is changing.
good god, this is horrific. i love this thread.

rivetrenuck

Bodyrox - Yeah Yeah, hell yeah i love that one!

It sounds about right "Energy Flash" Thats what i felt like when i walked into the club and all these sounds and massive basslines were being thrown into me. I just exploded into some sorta trance unable to stop dancing except to take several swigs, not even to open my eyes and check the honeys throwing shapes. eyes closed all night long.

bob effect

somnambulist
"should I be ashamed?"

Yes, for making a guilty pleasures thread yet again on a music forum and then watching the exact same moronic debate for the umpteenth time.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It's a tricky question, this, and one I've given a fair bit of thought to. I mean, there's been hip-house records for as long as there's been hip-hop, but the big arpeggiated synth/trance stylings have only been a factor in the last few years. I recall there was a DJ Hell/Puffy team-up circa 2004ish, but Hell's sound isn't the big arpeggiated synth business that so dominates these days. One of the first I can remember is Usher's 'Love In this Club' which Discogs tells me is from 2008, and Wiz Khalifa's 'Say Yeah' (which samples Alice Deejay, amusingly) is also of a similar vintage.
What's kind of interesting is that 2008 is also when Wearing My Rolex came out, which was the first big grime / electro crossover. So you get this transatlantic convergence based on pairing up fairly similar sounds but the core demographics of the respective sounds are completely different in the US and the UK.

rivetrenuck

"should I be ashamed?"

Yes, for making a guilty pleasures thread yet again on a music forum and then watching the exact same moronic debate for the umpteenth time.

yeahp that has happend. but i wasant looking for a debate i just wanted more music which would be considered uncool.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
What's kind of interesting is that 2008 is also when Wearing My Rolex came out, which was the first big grime / electro crossover. So you get this transatlantic convergence based on pairing up fairly similar sounds but the core demographics of the respective sounds are completely different in the US and the UK.

Yeah forgot that. Wasn't 'wmr' inspired by yeah yeah originally?

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
...but i wasant looking for a debate i just wanted more music which would be considered uncool.

You didn't choose the best title for the thread, then. Sucked me right in. Anyway, the prolix nature of the thread (hand-wringing from me, snootiness from zhao, some trance recommendations, discussing why r&b has suddenly turned into Gatecrasher circa 1997, stuff about Electro house, a man called Jimmy Urine) has been fun and interesting. Not sure if just youtubing pop-dance/euro'n'b is as good. "Not looking for a debate"? On a forum (especially this forum)? You'll be lucky.

Also, I love the arse-about-tit nature of your request - 'tell me what's uncool! I only know about cool stuff, this mainstream and popular stuff has completely eluded me!' Only on Dissensus...

Nah, not really - one of the things I love about Dissensus is that many people here are genuinely disconnected from the pop charts and probably blissfully unaware that, say, Britney Spears' recent single has a 'dubstep breakdown', or of who Katy Perry is. (She's a caterwauling pair of tits. Albeit with songs that are structured very similarly to many of the ones you've said you like - see the Quietus article SecondLine linked upthread.) I have a good working knowledge of popular trance/r&b, electro-house, whatever - I like far too much music and am probably under-critical. Despite my earlier complaints about too much youtube, as you wanted recommendations, I will be your guide. (For a bit, anyway.)

Electro-House: This was never a chart hit but it is pretty much the blueprint sound-wise for all that followed. This is great:

R&B/Trance: Diplo (as Major Lazer, with Switch) produced this, I don't think he's that well liked in these parts and he does churn out a lot of guff, and does too many styles to be master of any, really. Anyway, waffle apart, this one is ridiculous and the video is a Windowlicker derivative but the sheer jolly demented nature of the song is just ace:

Old Trance: Since Ory wanted this to be the great Dissensus trance thread, an old favourite. Not sure if it's that well known, but well... I love this one.

[EDIT:] None of the above is particularly 'uncool', on reflection. Lots of 'hipsters' (depending on your definition) like B-Pitch and Major Lazer. Sorry. Heck, the Black Eyed Peas/Rihanna/Guetta axis is considered cool in many circles (more so than, say, Taylor Swift or the Jonas Borthers) and fuck, even Jersey Shore is considered cool by lots of teenagers (says trza, and from what I've heard (never seen it), it's true. 'Uncool'? It's a tricky one.)

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
via jersey shore. no relation to the footwork dj roc.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TZhvfx6xON0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fistpumpalicious innit? very derivative of benny benassi circa 2003 but that's what you get with a lot of this stuff. and hey, it's got some old skool synths in there too.

e/y

Keep It Going Louder with Nina Sky is such a great pop song.

I love Nina Sky.

rivetrenuck

I think what broke me into the whole electro house thing is Moombhathon. Has anyone heard the MIA remixs? They might be still available on Munchi's website

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nq3m9hu7Clg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would love to hear this played side by side with the rest of "Electro House"

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eLc6XaX7aKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fjtVjRVHDX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>