Should I be ashamed?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"If Tiesto actually and unironically used the word "trancetastic" (and I can only assume he'd use it unironically, since trance is pretty much as irony-free a genre as you're going to find) then kind of makes me warm to him a little bit. Kind of."
My paraphrase I'm afraid.
Would this fit in? I think it's genuinely good but it's got the swelling chords and emotive vocals. No arpeggios though as far as I remember.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
absolutely brilliant track indeed. I'd put it more in the lineage of french house though...actually, fuck that bit just then sounded like 'Your love'. Way more atmosphere/emotion than anything on this thread.

Leo

absolutely brilliant track indeed. I'd put it more in the lineage of french house though...actually, fuck that bit just then sounded like 'Your love'. Way more atmosphere/emotion than anything on this thread.

they're a brooklyn/oberlin indie dance duo, vocal sample taken from "cheaters never win" by 70s group love committee. the two tracks have a very different vibe, like the way they transformed the sample into a whole other thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I thought it was based on Your Love at first but you're right it's Love Committee - same band who did Just As Long As I Got You which was reworked by... Frankie Bones?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
they're a brooklyn/oberlin indie dance duo, vocal sample taken from "cheaters never win" by 70s group love committee. the two tracks have a very different vibe, like the way they transformed the sample into a whole other thing.

ah yes, knew this, and I agree that the sample recontextualising is incredible. Just that the music they put it to sounds 'Your Love'-ish. Presumably the music itself is their original, no?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Yeah, I can well imagine grooving gently to this with a big dumb grin on my face at 6am...

I like how the singer is an American black man who in places sounds like he's trying to impersonate Robert Plant, who of course tried to sound like an American black man. And also the video, which seems to have been made from a bunch of Windows screensavers circa 1997.

Last edited:

rivetrenuck

Just to go slightly of track here. Went to a club called Roxy's somewhere in the westend purely cuz its been an abysmal night out and been dying just to dance.

Cant remember what they were playing but by chance came across a few tracks that sounded similar. Dont even know what genre this is, but i could be ashamed to say that i danced myself to death to these tracks, they were really effective i just could not stop, not even to go to the toilets (not under any influence of any chemicals except beers)

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UcFvadUPxiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x8_POLkoMZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7tilR6LxxpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/epkwTdsIIQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p.s. if someone know what this type of music called please state so I can look for more.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
er, electro-house, with that same fucking keyboard sound again and again and AGAIN. You'll get sick of it soon, believe me! Guess 'Bonkers' is now the best known example?

rivetrenuck

i guess its a combination of being really desperate to dance and having listen to this sorta thing for the first time. But i can still dig it. Atleast there were a lot of girls diggin it. :cool:

crackerjack

I read this interview with Tiesto where he said "I've started getting into indie now and become a more adventurous dj - I'm dropping in the odd bit of Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight (or whoever it was) into my trancetastic mixes now". As far as I can tell an attempt to make a terrible experience even worse.

Reminds me of a review of the Beady Eye album that said: (from memory) "the realisation dawns that this is Oasis without the experimental one".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
er, electro-house, with that same fucking keyboard sound again and again and AGAIN. You'll get sick of it soon, believe me! Guess 'Bonkers' is now the best known example?

True. I suppose you could say ''jungle, with that same fucking amen break again and again and AGAIN...''

But I wouldn't.

What is it about that sound that makes it so ubiquitous in that music? It's just so bright and inyersweatyface, I suppose. It sounds clean and pristine, like an auditory special effect. CGI synth. A bit sterile and identikit, though - like CGI.

Wow, incredible levels of musical analysis going on here.

I like/d it in 'Energy Flash' when Reynolds explains the appealing factors in a number of much maligned genres (I suppose hardcore numbered among them!)...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
er, electro-house, with that same fucking keyboard sound again and again and AGAIN.

yip

I did my niece's 21st last month and requested a hard drive of stuff rather then having to find the difference between black eyed peas and eh lmfao or whatever. It was all just one big mess in so far as there was no difference between either side of the Atlantic like there used to be. Wither GaGa, Afrojack or some of the former grime guys it was all the same sounds that were kicking around clubs 6 years ago. All the midrange electro house, Kitsune, ed banger or city rockers stuff.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of my housemates is French and 22 and listens to a lot of this French or French-style 'electro' (basically mid-tempo, mid-range house music with lots of buzzy sawtooth synths) - is that the kind of thing we're talking about here? It doesn't do a great deal for me, I have to say. :slanted:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You HAVE to be making these names up, Rich - they sound like something from Nathan Barley...

hint

party record with a siren
When did the crossover start? Was it with Puffy on the floor at DC10 3 or 4 years ago?