Paying for dissensus 2011

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Arses, I'm so skint right now but am starting a new job in a month's time - if some kind soul could sling in some dosh for me I'll pay you back very soon, honest! :eek:

Edit: thanks! :)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm completely skint at the moment. Wish I could donate generously, I love Dissensus.

Thursday I get my JSA, if you still need it by then I'll donate what little I can.

sufi

lala
Wow that's great folks,
still a wee bit short but that's the most of it in now!
i'll pay off the hosts for another year... any other little contributions would still be welcome

if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about the following topics whioch have sprung to mind over the past few days....
  • google ads? anyone got any objection or any idea whether they might generate $600 pa for us?
  • cheaper hosting - aso are OK but perhaps we could get better value elsewhere?
  • getting involved in admin, modding - anyone fancy it?
  • developing dissensus -maybe moving on from vbulletin, or other stuff apart from the forum on or offline - maybe events of some sort, playing out publishing or music ...
I like the way dissensus has evolved itself over the years, and if it ain't broke etc... but at the same time if you can think of interesting directions that dissensus or the crew could move into ... give us a shout :) you all have paid for the board, so it's up to you what you fancy doing with it

& of course BIG BIG Thanks to everyone for contributing - in ca$h or in interesting discussions - forwards to meet our destiny!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
^ Totally agree!

developing dissensus -maybe moving on from vbulletin, or other stuff apart from the forum on or offline - maybe events of some sort, playing out publishing or music ...
Interesting idea. Doing events or putting records out is an interesting idea but there's kind of a risk that you'll either end up pigeonholing the forum as a grime / garage / funky forum or doing stuff that's so eclectic that it flops and loses loads of money... I think Subvert Central Recs suffered a bit from this.

It's an interesting idea, though. Maybe some sort of CDR / MP3 comps of unsigned stuff curated in a distributed fashion (ie by different people nominating stuff from different scenes that they're involved in) could be cool?

you

Sufi - inbox full

anyhow, here's what I was going to PM, may as well be public to open up the discussion

I'd quite like to be involved with helping the board, im not massively tech - but I use loads of forums and notice the way things evolve and die.

I'd like to see a separation of some of the sub forums, the art, literature and film section could be split - leading to more space for more specific threads - and if people start really discussing things in greater depth and talking about the details it's more likely to be thrown up on a specific search, which in turn will drive the adsense revs (possibly) but also increase the overall indexing for more general searches.

Also - if you could split the sections the adbars would be more appealing - for example a boomkat adbar is no good in the Nature section, a publishers adbar is no good in the music section.

Not expecting things to be taken too far, we don't need individual forums for juke and another for footwork (examples sake) - but a little specialization maybe cool.

Maps and stuff would be nice too, creating a network of clubs and pubs etc - records shops, outlining the market dissensus is about - so others can see it clearer and feel more enthusiastic about investing in it yadadada...

Anyhow, just some ideas really, let me know how I can help.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd like to see a separation of some of the sub forums, the art, literature and film section could be split - leading to more space for more specific threads...

Sure I'm not the only person who'd love a dedicated Food and Drink subforum! :cool:

you

Sure I'm not the only person who'd love a dedicated Food and Drink subforum! :cool:

loads of articulate, up to date and interesting discussions about London food - juxtaposed with the maps, and a few adbars or an app.... that could be harnessed for a little revenue, you wont get enough to cover the costs, but a little bit helps or could be put towards other stuff like club nights or personalised ivory back scratchers I dunno. Don't want to come across as a capitalist cock or anything - but alot of stuff is already being done and could work for dissensus a little, in some ways make things even better..

Jenks can mod the Negarestani subforum ;-)