Facebook status thread

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that's my favourite episode ever - the scene in the coffeehouse with Murray is priceless

'Keitha' is brilliant. "Mah grandpa was transported for rape and murder. That's where he met mah grandma. Well, I say 'met', it was more, 'raped'..."

IdleRich

IdleRich
"agreed - portuguese people are already moving in droves to brazil and angola, spanish people to argentina.... "
Yeah, keep seeing articles about this - it's the big thing at the moment. Ironic if the colonies end up having the last laugh.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think the problem could be if emigrants from Europe end up taking a lot of the best jobs in the 'newer' economies, creating a kind of post-post-colonialism. Not sure if this is yet a phenomenon?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think the problem could be if emigrants from Europe end up taking a lot of the best jobs in the 'newer' economies, creating a kind of post-post-colonialism. Not sure if this is yet a phenomenon?

Not necessarily, in fact they could find themselves at a disadvantage. Employers in developed economies like immigrants from less developed economies because they're willing to work harder for less money, right? With economic migrants from (West) Europe entering BRIC-type countries, that's going to be reversed, and workers used to relatively cushy working conditions back home will find themselves competing against locals who've never enjoyed those privileges.

Then again, they could have other advantages such as an education at better (or at least more prestigious universities), for example.

Last edited:

luka

if they have skills lacking in those countries then they are an asset to those countries. simple as that. i think its massively overstated tho. there are many more people moving in the opposite direction.

luka

my cousin was staying with me at the time and pissing me off babbling on about his SA experiences all the fucking time. that was the background of that comment. hes my cousin and my mate but....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ha, I should confess that I know nothing about South American music. I was just thinking of luka's superb rebuttal to juan roberto: "Latin music is shit and you're a cunt". It's not really my cup of tea either, from what I've heard.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, I see - yes, Juan Roberto, I remember him....

Only been to Colombia, and while I like reggaeton, its ubiquity almost drove me mad. I love loads of Brazilian music, but that doesn't tend to be classed as 'Latin' because it's Portuguese speaking (go figure).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My friend who's over there was complaining that almost all the music he's heard there has been this incredibly naff, ultra-glossy, generically urban dance stuff that sits somewhere between electro, trance and the most commercial kind of hip-hop/r'n'b; all autotuned vox and videos that are mostly sports cars and lens flare. Probably similar to a lot of the stuff people posted in the 'should I be ashamed?' thread.

Edit: how is Portuguese not 'Latin'?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Right, not sure about that (though I did see a documentary about a new variant on trance in Brazil that had taken its cues off forro, perhaps?)

Dunno, that's what I was saying. But when people talk about 'Latin' music, they generally are not including Brazilian music, I've tended to find.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"My friend who's over there was complaining that almost all the music he's heard there has been this incredibly naff, ultra-glossy, generically urban dance stuff that sits somewhere between electro, trance and the most commercial kind of hip-hop/r'n'b; all autotuned vox and videos that are mostly sports cars and lens flare. Probably similar to a lot of the stuff people posted in the 'should I be ashamed?' thread."
I got the impression that it was rich white kids in gated communities listening to that?
Baboon - didn't Kostas say that he got flown to Brazil to dj trance to thousands of people?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I got the impression that it was rich white kids in gated communities listening to that?

I dunno, I think Tom just said it was very prevalent on the TV and radio, like you'd go into a bar and that's what would be playing on the telly.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, Kostas said he played to about 3000 people or something. but i think there's also this other thing where global trance has been melded with Brazilian musics, and apparently it's massive