datwun

It's really difficult to pin down who exactly the audience of jackin is. When you go to 2:31 everyone's dressed pretty hipster/studenty, when when you chat to people they all seem to have pretty normal service jobs and that. Also I get the vibe that shuffle is more of a black thing than jackin, which is maybe like 80% white or something.

That 2010 Leeds sound has been dead since 2011! If you mean tracks like James Oliver - Doin Time, Jayye Jackin - Oh Baby, Lorenzo - Love For Me. That really bouncy basically-still-electro sound long ago morphed into Jackin proper, with all it's many facets.

I don't know about Audio Rehab in particular, but the thing about a lot of this shuffle house is its so un-pop that I find it difficult to see it throwing up many cross over hits. Unless it's stuff like this:

This really confuses me, is this part of the shuffling scene? Would it get played in deep-tech sets? The video's all clips of people shuffling (nicked from the Melborne stuff I reckon), but it doesn't really sound like anything else in this thread. I totally love it! It's like those future garagey emo cut-up vocals put over a beat which isn't totally anaemic. Second drops mud as well. If there's more shuffling like this I'd love to hear it!

Back to shuffle vs. jackin though, I'm not saying you're wrong that it could be shuffling that blows up not jackin - though I'd love to see jackin get its dues nationwide I'm not holding out too much hope - but I'm interested in why you see the shuffle stuff has more 'promise', unless you mean it's less good so it has more room to get better lol.

For me the thing with the shuffle house is that it's so very very similar to a lot of house that has existed for 10 years. People laid into me for claiming some kind of novelty for jackin, but it's easily 10 times more different from it's predecesors and more innovative that this deep-tech house. Even if you can claim that jackin has no brand new ideas of its own (though I think anyone who can't hear the innovation in the basslines simply needs new ears), at the very least its a new configuration of all of its influences. With shuffle house I don't even think you hear people claiming any novelty for it, more like it's the same tech house as before but more interesting because of that London darkness.

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
so why would that Toyboy & Robin get played at a SHuffling rave but not Disclosure?
sounds pretty much identical in sound to me

datwun

so why would that Toyboy & Robin get played at a SHuffling rave but not Disclosure?
sounds pretty much identical in sound to me

Yo for the record I'm not saying it would! For what it's worth I got linked to it from Tom Zanetti's facebook :cool: so it's probably played out at jackin raves, even though it's definitely not jackin...

wise

bare BARE BONES
take Disclosure's Fire Starts To Burn, take off the vocal and open up the filter and the resonance on the bass a little bit and there you go....

wise

bare BARE BONES

now that's dark London Tech-House... doing it much better 16 years ago, not road though, no.

roadhouse.jpg

I've got to say I find most of this stuff deadly, deadly boring. It's so fucking boring that I give any track with even a little bit of hype a massive benefit of the doubt.

The other thing is, how the fuck does anyone have time to play this stuff? All the tracks stretch 4 minutes worth of ideas into 8 minutes. I know a lot of the people on this forum have proper 2 hour radio shows and that, but for small fry DJs like me who are used to 45-60 minute sets, I don't know how you can ever justify waiting 4 minutes for a drop when you could mix two or three jackin tracks in at the same time.

People talking about a posible convergence of jackin and shuffling. I can very easily see it happening, but I really hope not. For me jackin would do best to step away from the 'house and bass' thing and take some pride in doing its own weird, wonky, wacky thing.

Not that some of the tunes aren't good, cause there are a couple of nice ones so big up trilliam and continuum for posting them, but even the tunes I like wouldn't breach my top 50 jackin tracks.
Well with Jackin it can get really tedious too, in the sense that's very easy to get stuck in the intro/breakdown/drop/32-bar-mix/another-breakdown/another-drop/another-32-bar-mix/rise-and-repeat dynamic. Which is the most annoying thing for me.

It's true that the other stuff can sometimes get too tracky and there's tunes that are just dj tools where nothing happens, but the good thing is (as it often is with any music) to find a balance between both sides that you're confortable with.

Personally I've been finding good tunes that touch into that balance both coming from London and Birmingham.

Also, why would you need to wait 4 minutes for a track to drop, even the most tracky stuff is constructed in the same 4/4 structure with things (even if very subtle) happening every 16 or 32 bars at most. A good dj shoudn't find himself confined on the structure of the tunes he plays but use it to mold the tunes into what he wants his set to sound like. The way I see it anyway.