Hip Hop 2013

rubberdingyrapids

finally got round to hearing the kanye SNL songs. black skinheads is kanye doing death grips isnt it? new slaves is some of the most interesting lyrics ive heard from him in a while. this album sounds like its going to be his noise-rap album, or his self consciously avant-rap album. not sure if that suits him. wasnt bowled over by daft punks beat for skinheads either, though it might sound different on the album. its like kanye wanted a human after all type of beat, when id rather hear kanye on an all around the world type beat.

trilliam

ye that a-mafia tip is real street music, haven't downloaded cause i got most of the songs but that boy is the truth

rubberdingyrapids

really feeling the dj mustard mixtape... reminds me a lot of certain atlanta rap strands around 2006/07 but something quite novel and fresh about it. theyre not saying anything interesting but i really like the energy of the rappers he features. very nice surprise.

rubberdingyrapids

ive a feeling its going to be his version of MIA's last album, his human after all, or his 'art-edm-rap' album. (not heard any of it yet though)

beat credits -

1. "On Sight"
Daft Punk

2. "Black Skinhead"
Daft Punk, Travi$ Scott (co.), Mike Dean (add.)

3. "I Am a God" (featuring Justin Vernon)
Daft Punk, Hudson Mohawke (co.), Kanye West (co.), Travi$ Scott (co.), Mike Dean (add.), Rick Rubin (add.)

4. "New Slaves" (featuring Frank Ocean)
Daft Punk, Travi$ Scott (co.), Hudson Mohawke (co.), Mike Dean (co.), Kanye West (add.)

5. "Hold My Liquor" (featuring Chief Keef and Justin Vernon)
Young Chop, Mike Dean (co.), Arca (add.), Rick Rubin (add.)

6. "I'm in It" (featuring Justin Vernon)
RZA, Travi$ Scott (add.), Mike Dean (add.)

7. "Blood on the Leaves" (featuring Tony Williams)
TNGHT, Kanye West (co.), Mike Dean (add.)

8. "Guilt Trip" (featuring Kid Cudi)
Symbolyc One, Arca (co.), Travi$ Scott (co.), Mike Dean (co.), Ackeejuice Rockers (co.)

9. "Send It Up" (featuring King L & Iamsu!)
Gesaffelstein, Arca (co.), Daft Punk (co.), Hudson Mohawke (add.)

10. "Bound 2" (featuring Charlie Wilson)
Kanye West, No I.D., Symbolyc One (co.) The Heatmakerz (co.), Rick Rubin (add

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

yeezus is basically a quickie kanye album, but its still pretty good imo. not sure about the use of the strange fruit sample, but it does have the immortal line 'fist all up in her like a civil rights sign'. as for re-politicised kanye, it seems all the political angles in the lyrics are sexual (and borderline ridiculous).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Let's talk about how this is the best Neptunes (well, Pharrell) beat in a long hot minute and that the whole of the Pusha album should have been produced by Lil'Skateboard P evidently cos the other best track on it is the one produced by Pharrell in which Pusha straight up jacks Ma$e's whole style.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I guess people were saying this with crunk but ratchet is sort of a throwback thing isn't it? Samples are totally out of the window its bare bones riffs and big kick drums.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not that that really matters at all, contextualisation is beside the point (btw I know this juvenile tune isn't 'ratchet'...)

It's good though, isn't it?

craner

Beast of Burden
This year Killah Priest has made a monsterous, collosal magnum opus called The Psychic World of Walter Reed which in scale, ambition, range and insanity even dwarfs Heavy Mental.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

'Step Brothers 2' is excellent (aside from a few dodgy hooks) and this is the most excellentest of all.

Also recommended:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This year Killah Priest has made a monsterous, collosal magnum opus called The Psychic World of Walter Reed which in scale, ambition, range and insanity even dwarfs Heavy Mental.

I missed this, thanks for the heads up, it's brilliant.

craner

Beast of Burden
Isn't it? It hasn't even got a proper distribution deal yet, which makes it difficult to get a hard copy. It has 40 tracks, most of them about 2 minutes long, knitted together with segues that are a feat of imaginative engineering in their own right. Sometimes Priest repeats himself -- or at least sounds like he is repeating himself -- but then the entire set lasts over 2 hours and you can count the cameos on one hand. It's an extraordinary performance. Last time anyone in hip hop tried anything on this scale (as far as I know) it was the entire Wu Tang Clan plus half a dozen guests. The only thing that makes it less compelling than Heavy Mental is the slightly goofy, cartoon-ish antics and the unsubtle (but reckless and sweeping) production. The first album had a more serious sense of drama, gravitas and purpose than this wild escapade, but never mind that, Priest has made a mad, massive cosmic extravaganza that is like nothing else that has been made this year. I can't even talk about this album properly yet.