Hip Hop 2013

rubberdingyrapids

still dont understand the appeal of young thug.

the new aarab muzik album is a dissapointment. i find it hard to listen to. when i saw him at camp last year i thought it was weird how dubsteppy his set was and the albums like that too.

mr. snrub

i just noticed slaughter rico of 5 dolla nigga fame has a new* tape out on datpiff with a measly amount of d/ls

*actually i think this is mostly older tracks but it's still worth checking since these philly guys barely even make it onto dat piff for some reason so it's good to have all these tracks on one release - btw what ever happened to Vodka?

this
to this

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
plus they do shitloads of acid. In fact the whole mixtape is just them proselytising about acid. Amen to rappers and acid, I say.

sandtrafikar

Hi. Lurker, first time poster.

This is my oddball favorite from 2013 so far:

Love how the synthline just floats and floats in the back.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
what do y'all think about this piece/mix. sounds pretty good to my out-of-touch-from-a-distance-ears. what else should be on that list?

CrowleyHead

There are only 4 good songs on that list, and only one comes from a rapper this forum has discussed at any pace.

All I'll specify in is that Kevin Gates might be THEE most boring rapper ever. He's so good it's dull, boring and useless. Him, Don Trip and Freddie Gibbs will form a trio one day called "Trappers Who Are So Suffocatingly Grown Man, We Should've Been Born As Detroit Rappers Who Cry About Novelty Rap Singles Because We're Insecure As Fuck, And Have The Personalities Of Cardboard"

(Sorry Corpsey!)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lol

I find Kevin Gates a lot more interesting than Freddie Gibbs, who I DO find boring, but I can see where you're coming from I suppose.

Mind you I don't listen to Gates much. I don't listen to any rappers at the moment. I dunno if that's just my taste changing, or my hipster instincts kicking in cos rap is so boiler room trendy now, or if there's really a lull at the moment in quality. I rarely see anything on digitaldripped/datpiff and the various rap blogs that catches my ear and makes me want to download at the moment.

Gucci Mane and Future/Freebandz Gang honourable exceptions. Young Scooter, F.B.G. tapes were the best I've heard this year I think. I was quite into the Casey Veggies tape too.

I'm not against being into rap still, though - maybe I'll have a look.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is quite funny cos its Master P being ghostwritten by Rick Ross or by the person who ghostwrites for Rick Ross

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

HMM this is actually a bit average - rubbish Future and Scooter spots. Notable mainly for ''Wipe a n*gga nose".

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Rap's definitely in the lull mode right now. I think the post-hyphy/ratchet kids are going to be the next wave, and then all the little Chief Keef babies running around. They're ridiculously productive scenes, just not producing too much "EXPLOSIVE" talent, but that's good. Scenes need to be more healthy and self-sustaining. Also, there's a younger wave of futuristic rappers that are doing good, but I think Atlanta's kind of SPENT past Young Thug now... Mostly too much old man trapper music.

I'd say, give it a year, or w/e.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My heart sinks whenever I listen to a new Gucci tune and its a Lex Luger style beat with him sounding clapped out on top of it.

Bring back

CrowleyHead

I am actually a bit nonplussed by this one. He's rapping great, but IDK, I feel like the production is cleaned up a bit too much, plus all the guest producers just aren't as good as Tree!

New Kanye singles are mind bogglingly not good as far as rap singles, but he's rapping as good as ever and the songs are more interesting for just how I can't get WHY he's making them.

DannyL

Wild Horses
My heart sinks whenever I listen to a new Gucci tune and its a Lex Luger style beat with him sounding clapped out on top of it.

Idk man - you heard "Hell Yes", "Terrific", "Thirsty"? I'm not saying all of his stuff is hot, but he's still putting out interesting stuff to keep me curious. Even the track with Chief Keef was hard. Not that I wanna listen to all the tapes, just too damn many, but I think he's still got something.