The great BEER VS. WINE fight!

What's your poison, guv?

• Total voters

IdleRich

IdleRich
Same as it ever was.... sure but aren't some of these listed or protected or.... something? Is it ok to buy a Raphael and rip it up? Then why can is it ok to do It to a pub that loads of people love?

Hope the Princess Louise in Holborn is still the same

PrincLouise1.jpeg

Princelouise2.jpeg

One of the most beautiful and cheapest pubs in London, what's not to like?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This place, how old is it?

View attachment 13855

How can it be that someone can buy something like this and then just wipe out centuries of history? It should be lovely and cosy inside with a snug and a saloon bar and all that, not a fucking linoleum floor and shitty black plastic tables. Cunts.
Ah, that place had been shittified before I lived in Oxford, so I've never set foot there.

I hope nothing awful has happened to the White Hart in Headington. That was my local, less than a minute's walk from where we lived.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've never been in, guess I know why. Didn't go as far as Headington so can't say soz.
That's the beauty of it. Off the beaten track, with a good catchment area of actual locals, therefore not required to pander to students or grockles.

shakahislop

Last time I was in Oxford I met up with Matt (you know him) and he suggested we meet in Brew Dog, I walked in there and walked straight out, bumped into Matt and told him Brew Dog was hideous and I couldn't drink there but he said that everywhere nearby had been fucked up. And so we had one in there and then went to a couple of places on, I dunno, Marston Lane or whatever it's called, The Oxford Blue was still ok but every other place we went in round Cowley Road was fucked. Then again Matt claimed The Star had been vandalised too but yesterday I asked the guy in the record shop what it was like and he told me that although it had changed hands a couple of years back and they had changed it a little, it was tastefully and lightly done and I'd agree.

But on St Clements we went in the one opposite the Angel and Greyhound (which is ok and has by default risen about 20 places in the good pubs list of Oxford) and I almost cried. The interior was a brutal act of cultural vandalism.
i was in the star before christmas, it's not as good as it was coz they won't let you bring you own food in any more.

oxford has got fucking weird(er) to me, everyone i knew who lived there who didn't have a load of money has left, the ones who made a lot of money stayed, and they stayed in the general cowley road area. that place gets richer and richer all the time. same old story i guess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is a meme with a picture of ridiculous mullets and it says "When you see this haircut in your local then prices are about to rise" and I saw that very haircut in The Star yesterday.

shakahislop

It's the same everywhere and has been for years isn't it? catering to students and tourists. Every time I've been back to Newcastle over the last 10 years I recognise it less and less. And here in Seville all the old, grotty but charming bars in the centre are disappearing to be replaced by chains, so I mostly just stay in the barrio now and hardly ever go into town.
benny i went to seville for two days and got smashed with a palestinian girl i'd just met in some kind of communist party bar in a tent at some kind of dancing festival, all i remember about that place is staggering round and going to some kind of exhibition of very violent war photography.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i was in the star before christmas, it's not as good as it was coz they won't let you bring you own food in any more.

oxford has got fucking weird(er) to me, everyone i knew who lived there who didn't have a load of money has left, the ones who made a lot of money stayed, and they stayed in the general cowley road area. that place gets richer and richer all the time. same old story i guess.
In absolute terms it's not as expensive as the most up-market bits of London, but a few years ago it was declared the most unaffordable city in the UK, measured as a ratio of average rents/house prices to average earnings.

Cambridge, unsurprisingly, was in second place.

shakahislop

In absolute terms it's not as expensive as the most up-market bits of London, but a few years ago it was declared the most unaffordable city in the UK, measured as a ratio of average rents/house prices to average earnings.

Cambridge, unsurprisingly, was in second place.
oxford's interesting coz the working class periphery is so small now. the old working class bits have been gentified but there's nowhere new to go. so the periphery is the villages and towns nearby.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But some of the villages are pretty posh in their own right, all those gastropubs. Last time we went to The Star in - I dunno - I think Sparsholt or something and Liza had a starter that cost £25 and it was one scallop. One scallop cost more than the price of a meal for three people she'd had in Lisbon a week earlier.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oxford's interesting coz the working class periphery is so small now. the old working class bits have been gentified but there's nowhere new to go. so the periphery is the villages and towns nearby.
There's still Rose Hill and Blackbird Leys. Or there was a few years ago, anyway.

Benny Bunter

benny i went to seville for two days and got smashed with a palestinian girl i'd just met in some kind of communist party bar in a tent at some kind of dancing festival, all i remember about that place is staggering round and going to some kind of exhibition of very violent war photography.
Was it the Feria de Abril then? Massive week-long festival they have here every April with hundreds of casetas (kind of like tents), the communist party have a tent there. Can't think where else it would be otherwise from your description

Leo

any at-home wine drinkers have recommendations on a good looking wine rack? we have a cool foam one made by a furniture designer friend but it's almost 20 years old and the foam is falling apart.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Tough one, this – I say as someone who only got into wine (not in a serious way, I don't know my arse from my pinot grigio) in the last few years.

Allowing 'beer' to include IPA and Guinness, however, I'll have to vote for that. Summer pints. Plus I don't get trashed out of my mind after a few glasses as with wine.

But there's a reason wine is holy.

It's funny, I think of Falstaff as a big beery boy but 'sack' is actually white wine

Falstaff: "If I had a thousand sons, the first humane principle I would teach them should be, to forswear thin potations and to addict themselves to sack."