trza

I think you guys are jealous because the guy from RHCP has those Native American cheekbones that drive the girls crazy, they were at peak screaming girl when they had that guy from the tattoo reality show playing guitar beside him, and they had those slap bass lines that would later be pantomimed by Flea in the Super Bowl. I just did a google search and Kiedis is making out with Wanessa Milhomem in public just a few hours ago.

hucks

Your Message Here
Haha, OK. I'm pretty sure owning anything by RCHP would be enough to have up before the House Committee on Un-Dissensian Activities.

Rightly so. For the avoidance of doubt, they are the worst. But I like the idea of SH40YO at the car boot sale, defending this album - "I mean I hated Stadium Arcadium but this still stands up".

God I fucking hate this guy.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
"She stayed with me until she moved to Notting Hill
She said it was the place she needs to be
Where the cocaine is fair trade, and frequently displayed
Is the Buena Vista Social Club CD"

CrowleyHead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers has been produced by Andy Gill, they were friends with Fishbone, and Frusciante is a respectable 'arte' figure. An RHCP CD is incredibly plausible.

Now a Sublime CD, THAT'D be outright improbable. Operation Ivy tho...

Leo

"semi hip" is really open to wide interpretation though, right? are we talking about the person who bought things that were a bit out of the mainstream/megahits (i.e. everything but the girl, cat power)? or is it someone who had pretensions of being "into music" and skimmed slightly below that level, courtesy of a now-lapsed subscription to mojo/uncut/nme/rolling stone, where he (and it's always a he) learned about four tet, that buena vista social club cd and soul jazz comps?

god forbid he perhaps even picked up a random issue of the wire, which prompted an impulse purchase of "world of echo" and maybe a detroit techno compilation on tresor.

benjybars

village elder.
Good call on the MC Solaar. This guy definitely likes a bit of non-english-language hip hop. I reckon there's a Saian Supercrew in there aswell.

I definitely wouldn't have survived the McCarthyist witch hunts for Un-dissensian RHCP activities when I was about 15..

benjybars

village elder.
Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill. Yeah, he knows it's not even remotely hip but you know what, fuck it, he doesn't care... It came out at a really special time.. Tony Blair had been elected leader of the Labour Party, the Premier League was starting to take shape nicely (helped in no small part by Sky Sports' state of the art coverage) and he got off with a girl with really impressive dreads at Notting Hill Carnival. So yeah, Jagged Little Pill stays.

trza

Jagged Little Pill sold boatloads and led record companies to sign and promote a whole generation of sound alike girl rockers who eventually had their own touring festival across America. If you are a forty something guy with a Lilith Fair t-shirt, then congratulations you were semi-hip. It was like the x-chromosome version of Lollapalooza.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
basement jaxx - remedy, for sure
mercury rev
tindersticks for when it all gets too much

50% of the stuff on here:

1999Poster.jpg

the late 90s haven't aged well, as a cursory listen to asian dub foundation for the first time in 15 years just reminded me.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
R.E.M. - of course!

Only recently heard Tindersticks for the first time, quite liked them actually.

Other stuff from 15-ish years ago: Strokes, Hives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, !!!, The Rapture.

Older stuff probably present:

Love, Forever Changes; Fleetwood Mac, Rumours.

Last edited: