IdleRich

IdleRich
i've been reading it about this this morning, coz there was a story in the nyt and i got straight on bookosz1, most of trump's dad's construction was in southern brooklyn, like brighton beach, east flatbush, bath beach

there's an interesting bit where they talk about there being some financing from the nyc/nj mafia being involved, a good way of laundering i guess

i'm still a bit mystified by the construction of brooklyn. it's so comprehensively and densely built up, for such a massive area. unbroken. so few parks. seems like a totally different pattern of development to big cities in europe.
Definitely was a big connection between the Trumps and the Mafia. I'm sure it's well-known - to you and everyone else - that The Donald's dad (I think his name was Ronald) had a lawyer called Roy Cohn who was also lawyer to various well-known mobsters - when Ron died it seems that Trump inherited the malevolent mafia fixer...

"In the late 1970s and during the 1980s, he became a prominent political fixer in New York City. He also represented and mentored the real estate developer and later U.S. president Donald Trump during his early business career."

According to everything I've read about him Cohn was a thoroughly nasty piece of work, the type of guy who spent ages persecuting homosexuals despite being - you guessed it - gay himself.

"Cohn and McCarthy targeted government officials and cultural figures not only for suspected Communist sympathies, but also for alleged homosexuality.
McCarthy and Cohn were responsible for the firing of scores of gay men from government employment, and strong-armed many opponents into silence using rumors of their homosexuality."

And famously with McCarthy

"He successfully prosecuted the Rosenbergs leading to their execution in 1953."

In addition to his hypocritical bullying of gays and bringing about the death of 'traitors' there were moments of good old fashioned greedy grasping theft...

"In 1986, he was disbarred by the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court for unethical conduct after attempting to defraud a dying client by forcing the client to sign a will amendment leaving him his fortune. He died five weeks later from AIDS-related complications, having vehemently denied that he was suffering from HIV."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

For any New York defendant, poor or powerful, answering criminal charges means being fingerprinted and photographed, fielding basic questions such as name and birthdate, and getting arraigned. All told, defendants are typically detained for at least several hours.

I had no idea things could get this difficult for him this quickly.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He's praying under his breath "Please, ask me the person, woman, man, camera, TV one again" - he's been practising that one for weeks, his lawyers keep saying "Mr Trump please we need to discuss strategy" and he says "no test me on the list again"

IdleRich

IdleRich
He'll join figures such as Nelson Mandela and Jesus who were also arrested by corrupt regimes...

Though obviously they were relatively minor figures in comparison and the injustices they suffered are not worthy of being mentioned in a discussion of the vicious ongoing persecution of this modern day, soon to be martyred, all-American saint.

Leo

04trump-arraignment-timestamped-TRUMP-courtroom-01-kgjl-threeByTwoMediumAt2X-v2.jpg

‘If [Trump] were sentenced to some sort of confinement, he would be confined with his secret service agents. They are ordered under federal law to protect him at all cost. So we are wading into territory that is just bizarre.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Do you think they would let him - as he did with his playroom at Mar-a-Lago - decorate his cell to look like the Oval Office and insist all the guards refer to him as Mr President?

How many secret service guys would he get inside with him? Could he become the boss by using them to out-muscle the other prison gangs? Imagine a full on pitched battle between some gang and his feds, it would be amazing, like some movie that you would shake your head over disappointed at its lack of realism.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

At least he'd probably be ok with prison slop. it's essentially the same diet he has now, by choice.

Leo

I think he gets away with this one but is found guilty on the Georgia election interference, January 6 insurrection, or seized documents cases (and maybe more than one).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think he gets away with this one but is found guilty on the Georgia election interference, January 6 insurrection, or seized documents cases (and maybe more than one).
It doesn't seem like there were any surprises in there, no killer charge that we didn't know about... ultimately the reading of the indictment itself seems to be a bit of a damp squib. No conspiracy even.

I suppose I've never watched an arraignment before so I'm hardly well positioned to say "ooh that was a good one" or vice versa and obviously I have no way to tell from today how likely he is to be found guilty or otherwise.