K-Punk

version

Read the first couple of chapters of The Weird and the Eerie earlier. Think I prefer him in this mode to politics mode, although he slips in a mention of capitalism in the intro.

The definitions he sets out for the two are pretty solid, imo. I rewatched Alien recently and his conception of 'The Eerie' is exactly what I was feeling about the planet and the derelict: Why is there something here when there should be nothing? Why is there nothing here when there should be something?

shakahislop

Read the first couple of chapters of The Weird and the Eerie earlier. Think I prefer him in this mode to politics mode, although he slips in a mention of capitalism in the intro.

The definitions he sets out for the two are pretty solid, imo. I rewatched Alien recently and his conception of 'The Eerie' is exactly what I was feeling about the planet and the derelict: Why is there something here when there should be nothing? Why is there nothing here when there should be something?
the core of the appeal of his writing for me was the integration of politics and theory into music and tv reviews. i've never read anyone else who could do it as well as that.

vimothy

yurp
The young conservatives are trying to co-opt Mark https://thecritic.co.uk/Ghosts-of-British-life/
many years ago nick land wrote a post on hyperstation criticising mark Fisher, now well known and much remarked on, called "transcendental miserablism". thing that always struck me was that you could make the exact same arg about the new right as the contemporary left - absolutely defeated in their own minds by liberal capitalism with no idea about how to rectify it

mind_philip

saw the light

Reminds me of submechanophobia (fear of submerged manmade objects) - a name I was recently able to put to an anxiety I've felt all my life.

mind_philip

saw the light
many years ago nick land wrote a post on hyperstation criticising mark Fisher, now well known and much remarked on, called "transcendental miserablism". thing that always struck me was that you could make the exact same arg about the new right as the contemporary left - absolutely defeated in their own minds by liberal capitalism with no idea about how to rectify it
end of history, innit

version

Reminds me of submechanophobia (fear of submerged manmade objects) - a name I was recently able to put to an anxiety I've felt all my life.

There are online communities based around that, people swapping images of oil rig struts and deep sea pipelines.

mind_philip

saw the light
There are online communities based around that, people swapping images of oil rig struts and deep sea pipelines.
Yeah, I've spent a lot of time on Reddit looking at terrifying images of shipwrecks. I wrote something about it, but won't be so gauche as to post it here.

• Sad
Reactions: sus

mind_philip

saw the light
They exert the same sense of fascination k-punk talks about in Lovecraft, at least for me. Something unsettling yet compelling. Same goes for 'liminal spaces' or Dragan Bibin's paintings.

View attachment 15184
Prinz Eugen is my favorite. There are photos of people snorkeling by the half-submerged wreck that I can't look at without the feeling that 20,000 tons of rusty steel is suddenly looming behind me.

Ci0Vlpr.jpg