luka

it captures this disjunct between his public pronouncements and the reality of his life (wealthy,fun-loving, admired, surrounded by friends)

version

5o17uc.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dissensus isn't exactly a huge presence though, which is why it doesn't bother me as much as stuff like smartphones. There's a difference between posting about books and music on an obscure forum and carrying around a device which can record all sorts of things about not just your thoughts, but also your bodily functions and movements.
I just found out that Lias from Fat White Family has written a book about the band. Seems he puts the boot into everyone (no doubt totally deserved), turns out ai am mentioned and that's cool and everything... but what if my parents read it? Really don't know how I feel about it overall, but I am definitely a bit worried.

IdleRich

IdleRich
They won't read it, but potentially someone could direct them to an incriminating passage. But, maybe cos I'm old, information in a book scares me more than the exact same stuff would in a forum.
Probably I'm just one line anyhow, but it just makes me aware of what can happen.

craner

Beast of Burden
I just found out that Lias from Fat White Family has written a book about the band. Seems he puts the boot into everyone (no doubt totally deserved), turns out ai am mentioned and that's cool and everything... but what if my parents read it? Really don't know how I feel about it overall, but I am definitely a bit worried.

I can't wait to read this, when's it out?

version

I think what makes the current situation so insidious is that it's cloaked in the language of care and efficiency. It's presented as being all about "optimising" things, making people safe. I don't get the impression a lot of the people doing it are particularly evil or anything like that either, it's just this sort of banal, "we know what's best for you" attitude and a desire for order.