Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
You could say our consumptive patterns/habits are becoming increasingly embedded within a technopolitical status quo which AI could soon develop a greater literacy of than we have, in certain ways at least.

Leo

In certain ways you could say we’re becoming more programmable, becoming more acclimated to algorithmically-mediated cultures, etc.

that’s very different from becoming a machine. That‘s just behavioral change, if it actually happens.

version

I think it's less that people are becoming machines and more that we're being treated like machines. That's not particularly new though. The newness is in the type of machine people are being treated like, i.e. the transition from manufacturing to service, analogue to digital.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
that’s very different from becoming a machine. That‘s just behavioral change, if it actually happens.
Yeah I don’t think we’re nearly deterministic enough in our decision-making to be literally likened to machines, but I see Vim’s point on a more figurative level.

there's probably a name for this principle - but once it becomes easier or more convenient to outsource quick thinking or expression to a machine it becomes very difficult to resist the template option, so technology increases creative output or content overall while also tending toward homogeny or predictabilty in style. The frustrating thing about large language model ai at the minute isnt weird enough, while on the visual side its too weird

my last point isnt related to my first there i just wrote it as i thought it - but why is that? the language stuff is generalisation transposed into a linear structure and narrative while images are a world 'a thosuand words' and this is obv more difficult to represent

one question we'll be asking a lot for the rest our lives - is this real? It might even be the last question we ask, smirking, just before we're engulfed in flames

vimothy

yurp
specifically I'm thinking about recommendation engines in the context of social media. but in general this is an old critique, which goes back to heidegger at least

vimothy

yurp
In certain ways you could say we’re becoming more programmable, becoming more acclimated to algorithmically-mediated cultures, etc.
yes so algorithmic mediation of culture is kind of new isnt it, that wasnt present in the 19th century although technological development was

vimothy

yurp
you: can I have neurolink inserted in brain pls

me: is this a good idea

you: technological change is a constant for the last two hundred years

So what’s your assessment of how big of a deal and how much a danger this vimothy. Under 100 words what’s going on please

vimothy

yurp
question is what role should culture play. if it's all ai generated and devoid of intentionality, is it still culture or does it become something else

luka

no ones interested in ai generated culture no one watches computers play each other at chess no one wants any of it cos its so boring and pointless

Reactions: Leo