dilbert1

@catalog though I wouldn’t claim to be a Based Task Force encyclopedia I can certainly do that for you.

For now curious your thoughts on this 2020 track. The beat is his own production, a dreamier more somber and modern sounding flip of the Ice Cube “Good Day” “Footsteps in the Dark” sample. The lyrics are him pushing the “trap” mentality and subject matter to comical absurdity. He’s never not trapping, #1 at it, casually superhuman trapper, constantly selling drugs (in this song mainly weed which makes it funnier bc long legalized so obv a joke), in the shower, while he’s eating dinner, etc., “trapping so hard” that he injures himself and others, that it jogs his memory and so on. Its quite poetic and funny and tragic. The chorus has him aggressively affirming his own isolation, the insecure chest-beating of a lonely criminal. So its an absurdist parody of the culture that’s serious and hilarious, and it slaps. At least that’s what I think! But thats what he’s always been doing. I’ll send more later

dilbert1

Ok one more ‘modern’ Lil B, released just before Trap Oz. This one’s more about consuming drugs rather than selling. I’m not sure if he produced this one, I wouldn’t be surprised, either way its a heavenly beat. Some highlights: “you can just call me on my Nextel” counterpoint melody @1:05, “all my bitches look like Clueless” line @1:26, “Eee! Eee! Eee, I’m geekin’!” (he uses that sound in “By Myself” too) @2:21, another counter melody @2:28. Some great off-beat rhyming and outrageous lyrics.

catalog

Thanks so much @dilbert1 i am listening to my essential late summer mix while I drink tyskie out of a coke branded glass in the garden.

Smoking roll ups and Rose Royce has just come on.

I will listen later and give you my impressions.

catalog

@catalog though I wouldn’t claim to be a Based Task Force encyclopedia I can certainly do that for you.

For now curious your thoughts on this 2020 track. The beat is his own production, a dreamier more somber and modern sounding flip of the Ice Cube “Good Day” “Footsteps in the Dark” sample. The lyrics are him pushing the “trap” mentality and subject matter to comical absurdity. He’s never not trapping, #1 at it, casually superhuman trapper, constantly selling drugs (in this song mainly weed which makes it funnier bc long legalized so obv a joke), in the shower, while he’s eating dinner, etc., “trapping so hard” that he injures himself and others, that it jogs his memory and so on. Its quite poetic and funny and tragic. The chorus has him aggressively affirming his own isolation, the insecure chest-beating of a lonely criminal. So its an absurdist parody of the culture that’s serious and hilarious, and it slaps. At least that’s what I think! But thats what he’s always been doing. I’ll send more later

This is quite funny, it seems a fairly "out" parodic thing, not quite as overt as "I want to get high" by afro man, but on the same spectrum?

What stands out is his delivery and the lyrical tightness.

He's actually a superb rapper.

catalog

Ok one more ‘modern’ Lil B, released just before Trap Oz. This one’s more about consuming drugs rather than selling. I’m not sure if he produced this one, I wouldn’t be surprised, either way its a heavenly beat. Some highlights: “you can just call me on my Nextel” counterpoint melody @1:05, “all my bitches look like Clueless” line @1:26, “Eee! Eee! Eee, I’m geekin’!” (he uses that sound in “By Myself” too) @2:21, another counter melody @2:28. Some great off-beat rhyming and outrageous lyrics.

Video is interesting. Looks more Jamaican than American.

Maybe the first one you posted is better actually, his delivery in this one is a little grating. But impeccable sense of rhythm as before.

Thanks for posting these 2 @dilbert1 ive not heard either before

dilbert1

@catalog Lil B playlist with most of his biggest. I remember seeing the “Wonton Soup” video on MTV when it came out. There’s a funny pop song “California Boy” and a couple good “conscious” tracks near the end. As for his arch and appeal, make sure to clock the jokes in the comments, big part of his artist mythos