Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's not going to bankrupt the us, bit its military capability is clearly less, bc some of its resources have been eaten up by the war on ukraine
The USA's military capability exceeds what it could reasonably require to defend itself many times over. I doubt the Chinese are going to attempt an invasion just because a few tanks have been sent overseas.

DannyL

Wild Horses
it's kind of obvious that war with russia has made us weaker, how could it be otherwise
I disagree - as i think I said upthread - it's possible (not likely) that democratic states warring (even by proxy) with the world's biggest destabilising influence will pay off in the long run, and be good for our democracies. I forget who said it but I read online words to the effect "you won't want to live in a world where Russia is victorious in Ukraine". I felt like that after seeing what happened to Syria. Maybe this is a chance to readdress some of those wrongs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if I said this but I'm in Serbia right now, and there are loads of Russians here. In fact there are Russians all over eastern Europe, my friend Taras claimed that Tblisi had grown in size by a quarter or something but who knows. Apparently in Novi Sad a medium size bottle of vodka is now 1l, a large is 2.5l - new development since thirsty Russians arrived.

Anyway this guy Ivan walked up to us in a bar asked if we wanna play darts - nope - next question "what do you think of the war, do you think it's the third world war?" - I really did not want to get into that, hadn't slept for days could barely speak...

Struck by how different Serbian is from Russian, Liza always tells me that Slavic languages sound like primitive Russian to her but regardless of that I thought they would be able to kinda figure each other out so it's a surprise to me that they find it easier to communicate in English. I did notice the alphabet has a couple of extra letters that Russian doesn't have and I find it harder to read signs and get the sense of them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Struck by how different Serbian is from Russian, Liza always tells me that Slavic languages sound like primitive Russian to her but regardless of that I thought they would be able to kinda figure each other out so it's a surprise to me that they find it easier to communicate in English. I did notice the alphabet has a couple of extra letters that Russian doesn't have and I find it harder to read signs and get the sense of them.
I think Ukrainian is semi-comprehensible if you speak Russian and Polish is semi-comprehensible if you speak Ukrainian, but there's a big gap between those languages and the South Slavic ones.

On the other hand, I think Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian are so close as to be virtually identical, but people who speak them tend to think of them as separate languages for reasons of nationalistic pride.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes apparently some debate about whether they are different languages or dialects of the same one. I will not get into it though if I can help it. Igor actually asked chatgpt and he said it gave a pretty nuanced and good answer.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I dunno if I said this but I'm in Serbia right now, and there are loads of Russians here. In fact there are Russians all over eastern Europe, my friend Taras claimed that Tblisi had grown in size by a quarter or something but who knows. Apparently in Novi Sad a medium size bottle of vodka is now 1l, a large is 2.5l - new development since thirsty Russians arrived.

Anyway this guy Ivan walked up to us in a bar asked if we wanna play darts - nope - next question "what do you think of the war, do you think it's the third world war?" - I really did not want to get into that, hadn't slept for days could barely speak...

Robert Rundo, one of Charlottesville”s many gimps, went on the run to Serbia. He’s done (half arsed) interviews with an ex Russian football firm leader (who in turn visited the north of Ireland) on mutant nationalism. An American operating where he is right now isn’t necessarily a spook, then again why raise this type of fool to that level of competence either. He got nicked again in Romania very recently, similar time to A Tate

If I can find the two pods (admittedly not that interesting) it shows how international even this small closed network is. One thing they genuinely are is organised

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think there is a strong fascist movement here. But I haven't seen it at all. Just one mad old lady ranting in the square.

Back to the languages, Igor tells me that Bosnian, Serbian and Croat are virtually the same but he also understands Macedonian while Slovenian is different. And of course Hungarian and Albanian are totally different language groups.

Apparently Slovenian women are the most beautiful and having seen the extraordinary stunning beauty of some time Laibach singer Mina Spoiler I can believe it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apparently Slovenian women are the most beautiful and having seen the extraordinary stunning beauty of some time Laibach singer Mina Spoiler I can believe it.
I saw Laibach play live a few years ago, which was a lot of fun, and Ms Spoiler (sic.) is indeed a mega hottie. Of course the tight-fitting military uniform helps too. Er, if you're into that sort of thing.

Apparently the band is quite tight with Slavoj Z, which makes a certain amount of sense.

DannyL

Wild Horses
@vimothy you should watch this. It nails what's kinda wrong with your picture of Russia. 6.30" - ".. the whole issue of trying to ascribe Russian motivations to some kind of theory of international relations is pretty damaging really for understanding what it is Russia thinks about the world and how it might react the world around".

Mearshiemer style "realism" is just a set of blinkers here - "irrelevant yet still harmful"

vimothy

yurp
ok I'll try to carve out some time. I also have some critiques of realism, which I've linked to elsewhere in this thread. but realism remains an important perspective which can provide a lot of insight, much of which is counterintuitive from a "mainstream" POV.