Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Been reading a cheery Wikipedia entry re: russian war crimes in Ukraine.

Really is unbelievable (it can't be grasped), living in such comfort here, to imagine what hell other people are going through, somewhere in the world, around the clock.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Been reading a cheery Wikipedia entry re: russian war crimes in Ukraine.

Really is unbelievable (it can't be grasped), living in such comfort here, to imagine what hell other people are going through, somewhere in the world, around the clock.
There's a video doing the rounds on Telegram of some Wagner cunts punishing one of their 'recruits' (a conscripted convict) for desertion by smashing his head in with a lump hammer.

The country is in a death spiral.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Highly disappointing clickbait headline from the FT here, which normally doesn't stoop to this sort of thing. Turns out the Russians haven't built an orbital antimatter cannon after all.

Screenshot_20230117-215233_Chrome.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Got a Russian guy staying with me now. Despite the fact that he has a condition which will develop into leukemia if he doesn't have an injection three times a week they were trying to draft him, he came back to his house and discovered they'd come looking for him when he was out and he thought fuck that... he was waiting for a visa to come through so he could leave but after that he decided to wait for it in Tbilisi and then Yerevan instead of in Moscow. The theory being that he could get there without a visa and when the visa did come through he could get it forwarded, but at the same time he wouldn't get drafted.

To leave he had to book a whole holiday with a b&b and a return flight he would never use, but he's here now and applying for asylum etc

Really scary when it's brought home to like this. One day you're a software engineer living a 'normal' life in a big city that we would all recognize, next day they're forcing you to go to another country and risk your life fighting for a cause you don't believe in, despite the fact you have a potentially fatal condition that often leaves you weak and tired.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yep. He can administer the medicine himself and has a year's supply so hopefully he can get registered here and source it in good time. The thing is, the day after the injection he's weak and tired so I dunno how he's supposed to fight Ukrainians.

So yeah it's shit and unfair, but on the other hand, you could say he's one of the lucky ones - he has the money to get out and knows people who will put him up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure I'm repeating myself here, but the thing I can't get my head around is the absolute contempt, bordering on murderous hatred, that the Russian ruling class has for its own people - before you even consider their attitude to Ukrainians (or Georgians, Chechens, Estonians, Poles...).

IdleRich

IdleRich
The number of brain drains over the years from Russia caused by people fleeing the various purges etc resulting from the political situations is crazy. Taras said that people are estimating that the population of Tbilisi has swollen from 1m to 1.5m since the war started. I've no way to verify that but I'm sure whatever the precise number there are a LOT of Russians there just now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The number of brain drains over the years from Russia caused by people fleeing the various purges etc resulting from the political situations is crazy. Taras said that people are estimating that the population of Tbilisi has swollen from 1m to 1.5m since the war started. I've no way to verify that but I'm sure whatever the precise number there are a LOT of Russians there just now.
You heard about this chocolate advert in Kazakhstan?

A young Russian man - presumably fleeing the draft - is laboriously crossing the steppe on foot, and gets his first taste of freedom (in the form of Kazakh chocolate, naturally).

Of course the Western tankiesphere immediately decided it was a CIA op...

Leo

Hundreds of criminals returning from front line battle fields with PTSD, released back into society with no social services. What could possibly go wrong?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I started watching that advert on my phone and Taras heard it and instantly started laughing, he knew it well, though not from Russian telly strangely enough.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I didn't know Seymour Hersh was on Substack.

Tensions were constantly escalating between Russia and NATO, backed by the aggressive foreign policy of the Biden Administration.
Well that's one way of putting it. Another would be "Biden turned out not to share his predecessor's penchant for polishing Putin's ringpiece with his tongue."

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is a gig in Lisbon I wanna go to this evening, do you think that this will work?

"Any chance that you could put me and Taras on the guestlist? He's very sick and he fled from Russia with only the clothes he's wearing but he loves music and it's one of the only things that can soothe his troubled soul... it would really mean so much to him if we could both get in free and making him happy would be a real fuck you to Putin."