luka

the overarching aesthetic is a fevered, delirious nausea and the song deploys every tonal, rhythmic and timbral weapon in it’s arsenal to achieve it. the detuned synths, the ethereal muezzin sounds in the background that sound like the music from the shining, the breathy vocals, the interplay between the strait time and triplets on the high hat (the contraction and speeding of time before the snare drums), the slow attack, the kick drum tripping over itself, etc. murky, clouded thoughts occurring briefly in the foreground before evaporating. unable to focus. to hold on to a coherent idea. martin sheen in a saigon hotel.

this is such a virtuoso piece of applied listening that it makes me realise how impermeable my contact-boundary has become. as i've said before so much of this stuff registers initially as irritant, annoying, unpleasant, queasy, that i protect myself from it instead of opening myself to it... and that means it becomes impossible to discern what is actually happening.

luka

corpsey was just talking to me on twitter and he's added something really important. he said he doesn't want to contribute here but i can quote him... bear with me...

luka

I was thinking when I saw bartys interjection
corpsey

I really like you by Carly Rae
corpsey

Is a sort of meta commentary on social media itself
1m

corpsey

If you want to view it through that lens
corpsey

The reallys in it could even be sarcastic
corpsey

Or at least superficial
45s
Ray Cappuccino

yes, theres a trolling aspect to all the genetic elite who lord it over us
Ray Cappuccino

i agree absolutely
Ray Cappuccino

giving us motivational messages
corpsey

Through another lens it's about the giddiness of love
corpsey

I love that song so
corpsey

I'm inclined not to scour it for clues

luka

that's a really really good point corpsey, thank you mate, and i would like to elaborate on that if i may

remember that carly rae is also not just carly rae, is only secondarily carly rae being first and foremost
a front, a figurehead and delivery system for a propaganda message.

remember my rule of thumb

top down culture is not culture it's propaganda

so the words are not her words but the words of the controllers and the overlords. ideology.

there is a trolling aspect to all the genetic elite who lord it over us
giving us motivational messages while we wallow in the shit and toil in the salt mines and they sit on a cloud drinking honey and ambrosia.

they speak through these young beautiful masks but they are not the young beautiful masks, and many would say they are not human beings at all.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
but bottom-up culture is just as much spectacle. it shines bright for a few years, then gets ossified into the routine of solopsism.

If pirate radio was a gift, given without the tyranny of the exchange abstraction, what is rinse, nowadays? Sure we can listen to it for free. But it won't fade out precisely because of its major brand partnerships.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
am not dismissing them at all.

Am just saying micro-cultures don't really change the mass cultural fabric. Jungle never got that big in its hayday. In a way one could see this as a positive, as reciprocity is the one way ticket to things assuming an objective existence apart from us and thus dividing head and hand. When cultures do change things its brostep and big beat.

luka

we talked through these issues on the this or that and on the feminine pressure thread.

everything which happens causes a change becasue this is a fluid medium. yes bullies and thugs still rule the world with help from their bootlickers and quislings and yes, in that sense you can say there has been no structural change throughout the course of recorded history but also, looking through the other eye,
2018 London is not Roman Britain, or Victorian Britain, or 1970s Britain.

if you want that one apocolyptic moment which makes the present immediately unrecognisable from the point of view of five minutes earlier then i agree, it's not looking likely, but don't blind yourself to the ongoing process in which we are bound and are participating in becasue that is the story of your life.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this sort of cynical writing about pop (no offence Corpsey not targeting u here) is why i'm not perhaps engaging with you in good faith. It's so transparently sit in a cafe sipping latte with modulated, plastic people. Prefiguration is killed. value judgments are suspended. it's positivism for the 21st century.

It's like the dumb maoists in the 70s who wanted what was their interpretation of peoples music which they contrasted to post-punk for being too arty and bourgeois. Except the assembly line is to be resisted. End surplus, not redistribute it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
we talked through these issues on the this or that and on the feminine pressure thread.

everything which happens causes a change becasue this is a fluid medium. yes bullies and thugs still rule the world with help from their bootlickers and quislings and yes, in that sense you can say there has been no structural change throughout the course of recorded history but also, looking through the other eye,
2018 London is not Roman Britain, or Victorian Britain, or 1970s Britain.

if you want that one apocolyptic moment which makes the present immediately unrecognisable from the point of view of five minutes earlier then i agree, it's not looking likely, but don't blind yourself to the ongoing process in which we are bound and are participating in becasue that is the story of your life.

2018 london is far worse than 1990s Britain though. This is what I mean. I don't see how you can suspend value judgments without being cynical.

luka

there are lots of threads where we can all go

'alva noto - yay! hes cool!!!!!'

and 'carly rae jespen sucks - corporate swill boooo!'

but this is not that thread.

just as your rhythmelodics thread is not about value judgements, it is about analysis. i can't keep repeating this. it gets boring and stupid.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well it's only not a value judgment in the most broadest schematic sense. I have no problem with people analysing the music i post with their own value judgments. that's different to saying all rhythmelodic music is good and all non-rhythmelodic music is bad.

sadmanbarty

as we've increasingly arrived at a future, the notion of 'the future' has become demystified and deromanticised. the future of, say, the 70's was overt and fantastical. space is the place, star wars, vocoder, p-funk, etc. it was a fiction.

now our cultural expression the future's subtle, it doesn't announce itself. inception, autotune, future hendrix.

(picked that one because the click of the synth sounds like nails against an iphone screen).

though highly stylised and essentially fantastical, i presume cyberpunk is this modern notion of the future in it's embryonic state. how well does the emergence of cyberpunk correlate with the beginning of personal computing?

luka

cyberpunk announces the arrival of the internet rather than personal computing per se but you're right that's when 'our' future began to be formulated. or at least some aspects of it. the ccru stuff does a good job of delineating some of the other conceptual inputs (while at the same time cleaving very close to the cyberpunk template)

luka

one of the things i like about my favourite film 'the matrix' is that it says
the future has arrived but it is disguised as its own past.
that's the situation we find ourselves in.