sadmanbarty

I was simultaneously trying to get droid to acknowledge the ambiguity in life’s complexity and vim to draw meaning out of life’s complexities.

I feel like chorizo may when she had to convince remainders to vote for her deal to avoid no deal and the erg to vote for it to avoid no Brexit.

sadmanbarty

I haven't offered a political opinion in years!

I am just an aesthete. A hermit.

This is important and has been neglected.

The narrative emerging is that Cramer backed the wrong historical horse and has ever since shied away from the public spotlight out of embarrassment ever since.

I was trying to negate this by showing that his position was by no means morally or intellectually spurious, but he wants to decouple himself from his past in a different, far richer way.

He is no longer w politics man. He is an aesthete. Let’s embrace and lull this new Cramer .

sadmanbarty

Craner, tell us about your facism essays. Do they concern the current wave if authoritarian populism? Do you asses it as an aesthetic trope (by way of your love for Italian exploitation films?)?

luka

But that's not true either. He backed the wrong horse but he doesn't accept that. Hes still committed to those positions, including the moral necessity of war in Iraq. He's grown tired of arguing the same arguments with the same people, which, tbf, is entirely reasonable. There's nothing to be gained there. But the books he reads are almost exclusively politics books. If you see his book shelves politics outweighs literature ten to one.

luka

Morally and intellectually the position was coherent, within its own frame, but had no contact with reality. It was a castle in the air. Vimothy has come to realise that. Craner hasn't. Craner in my opinion is, yes, an aesthete of course, but I think he's more than that, I think he's an artist. But he abandoned that path somewhere around 2004.

sadmanbarty

He’s haunted by contention. He won’t be able to escape from that until he is no longer defined by Iraq. You have a part to play in this Luke. You’ve been goading him for a decade and half to repent. Until you can yourself can relent, the Cramer the world needs will not materialise.

luka

The politics made him crude. He lost his touch. It was a fall from grace. You can track this through the blogs, starting from a time for fear, through citta violenta and beyond. I lost my touch too, for different reasons. It can get tricky, mid, late twenties, early thirties.

sadmanbarty

That’s why his girlfriend’s so young. Too young to remember Iraq. He can only feel glory with someone unaware of the Tigris sprites that encumber his soul.

luka

He’s haunted by contention. He won’t be able to escape from that until he is no longer defined by Iraq. You have a part to play in this Luke. You’ve been goading him for a decade and half to repent. Until you can yourself can relent, the Cramer the world needs will not materialise.

Well. How would this happen? I would say there needs to be a reckoning. But let's say he just leaves it and moves on. What happens then? He has to start writing again.

it helped me a great deal to have a peer as a writer. It's very difficult not to have one, as I haven't had one since he was lost to politics. It's much harder to push yourself if there's not someone with you neck and neck. You could use a peer yourself, musically.

sadmanbarty

Craner is morrisey. Once beloved amongst the sensitive, intellectually inclined he has come to be defined only by his reactionary politics.

droid

The problem here is, with all due respect, is that most of you are Brits. It's a critical factor that utterly warps your worldview and your ability to apprehend the reality of power and history. Some of you have managed to at least partially overcome this through engagement with radical politics or training in the esoteric arts, but it's generally a condition that cripples political morality. Its not that you wont see, its that you cant.

Craner as a member of a vassal race, conquered & long subsumed by empire is a ne plus ultra of the phenomenon.

luka

The politics made him crude. He lost his touch. It was a fall from grace. You can track this through the blogs, starting from a time for fear, through citta violenta and beyond. I lost my touch too, for different reasons. It can get tricky, mid, late twenties, early thirties.

Addiction is part of this but more generally it's losing that magic, contact with that presence, you find yourself shut out, unless you're very very careful. The things which used to work no longer work. The world grows cold. You have to find a way to re-enchant it somehow.

luka

His rejection of any cultural stimuli after 1998 is central to his intellectual pathology.

It's a huge thing that I've flagged again and again. we had a whole thread called play Craner new music and he acted like a baby that won't open their mouth for food. Just posting those stupid fucking killa priest videos again and again. This is why I couldn't be a therapist. I just want to throttle people.

luka

The problem here is, with all due respect, is that most of you are Brits. It's a critical factor that utterly warps your worldview and your ability to apprehend the reality of power and history. Some of you have managed to at least partially overcome this through engagement with radical politics or training in the esoteric arts, but it's generally a condition that cripples political morality. Its not that you wont see, its that you cant.

Craner as a member of a vassal race, conquered & long subsumed by empire is a ne plus ultra of the phenomenon.

This is true of course, but it can also be reversed. Craner would say you refuse to grapple with the responsibilities of power. A dereliction of duty.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oi tea this isn't about passive aggressive digs at droid.

(It wasn't intended as a dig - at least I don't think it was. My point was only that a more thorough understanding of the issue, as well as personal interaction with people directly affected by it, has led you away from the absolute anti-invasion position that you once held, and that this seems reasonable to me.)

To bring this back to Craner: I disagree that he's "no longer a politics man" - if that were the case, I don't think he'd still have this unerring ability to call elections and referenda. His finger's still very much on the pulse, even if he isn't taking part in big shouty politics threads much (or at all). But I like the idea of luka being integral to some kind of spiritual rebirth for him.

droid

The colonised, the enslaved, the bombed, the wretched of the earth, they do not have the luxury of debating the merits and morality of sanctions, collateral damage, interventions & market solutions. They know all too well what these euphemisms mean, they bear the long ache of the wounds, the trauma resonating endlessly through their national psyches - whilst the denizens of pirate states play their adolescent word games of justification.

droid

This is true of course, but it can also be reversed. Craner would say you refuse to grapple with the responsibilities of power. A dereliction of duty.

Craner fails to understand the nature of Western power. He thinks there is a moral dimension - despite the entirety of history suggesting otherwise.

luka

Yes his understanding of power is asinine as I've told him a thousand million times.