thirdform

pass the sick bucket
look at some of the original counter-cultural shakers who were involved before the criminal gangs got involved in acid house.

Oakenfold went really fucking dull goa trance/euro trance.
Trevor Fun went pretty unremarkable deep house.
Andrew weatherall was 89 will never die and hence traversed deep house, nose bleed techno/ambient/dub techno, and electro but without being able to fully commit to any of them.
Greg Wilson essentially quit.
Danny rampling became a rock star.
Nicky holloway and that other bloke faded into total irrelevance.

Really from that original period it was only Colin Faver (RIP) and Dale who managed to keep their integrity, although I suppose they went too euro and weren't really affiliated to ibiza to begin with. Likewise Paul Trouble Anderson just stuck to his guns and stuck with garage house.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As for trance - depends which kind of trance, some of it is the coldest deadest stiffest music this side of gabba - but then there's all that Eurocheese fluffy trance is really wet. Paul Van Dyk writing "Like An Angel" about his girlfriend.

sorry was talking about the kitsch end of eye-q fusing with english progressive house around 94-95. the trance i like is stuff like test - overdub some stuff on harthouse, the noom acid screamers, yeah basically the stuff played by the colin's and rave djs but that's it. it was over by late 93 into early 94. I guess the term stuck for a while because on the dave angel essential mix pete tong says UK's top techno and trance dj but really there is not much trance on there only a noom and hardfloor tune and that's it.

Last edited:

luka

I’d counter that by arguing the thematic narrowness forces artists to be more creative elsewhere. Migos sticking to very rigid subject matter has forced them to develop the biggest innovation in us rapping since rakim.

Bob dylan’s Lyric centrism has meant he can produce music completely devoid of any emotional resonance or sonic merit.

The best music of all time (jungle and post-72 mikes Davis) is by and large lyricless.

https://www.boohoo.com/mens/collections/boohooman-by-quavo

luka

If I started a thread and someone wrote what I’m about to write I’d be pissed off. Threads are much better when people don’t resoundingly disagree with the underlying premise, but explore it instead.

But to be a hypocrite, I don’t understand what you mean by pop music being anachronistic to soul? I thought it was soul in its purest form. What am I misunderstanding about your usage of the term?

I wasn't using it in some idiosyncratic personal sense. I was using it in the standard, loose sense. Feel free to argue the point but I think when average herd people, bovine grazers, sheep, followers, normies, basic people use it pop is antithetical to soulfulness. Granted pop is a capacious stocking; Will Young, Rita Ora, Stepz, Little Minx.

sadmanbarty

I wasn't using it in some idiosyncratic personal sense. I was using it in the standard, loose sense. Feel free to argue the point but I think when average herd people, bovine grazers, sheep, followers, normies, basic people use it pop is antithetical to soulfulness. Granted pop is a capacious stocking; Will Young, Rita Ora, Stepz, Little Minx.

i'm not 40. i've never, ever heard a person use the word "soul" in conversation.

i

luka

Running with soul as ‘authenticity’ for a bit.

In the 60’s people believed in music having the ability to effect change; civil rights, Vietnam, etc.

Since then audience’ and artist’s scopes have increasingly reduced.

We’ve reached the point where some would argue that artists aren’t saying anything. Empty, tokenistic gestures to a handful of well worn topics; guns, sex, dancing, love and drugs.

Simon done a good riff on Migos lyrics. Do you remember that? Saying it's just empty form without any investment. The same thing has happened to love songs. Love doesn't exist any more. It's impossible to fall in love, a ridiculous concept. But artists are still tied to singing about it. The form lingers on but the concept has rotted away.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
good trance.

Bad trance that is still credible in certain rave circles mainly united states and others...

pretty vomit innit. played by Omar S once of all people. had to switch the mix off.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh yeah! who remembers some of the uk 93 techno which was like junglistic trance.

dj ratty in the place.

cracking tune though no?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this one as well.

ha, fucking love this description.

"Acid Techno Hard Trance Hardcore 1993 1992 1991 1990 1994 Mayday Dance Rave Roland tb 303 808 909 606 Joey Beltram kenny Larkin woody mcbride Leo Anibaldi Biochip Dr Fernado Adam X Frankie Bones Damon Wild Lagowski Emmanuel Top Speedy Jeff Mills Acid Masters CJ Bolland Robert Hood Nation SP23 Richie Hawtin Pass The Water Underground Resistance Mad Mike Acid Carl Cox DJ Producer Miss woods Colin Dale Hellraiser Ulster Hall Helter skelter Obsession Junkies Mark NRG Moby Labworks Bonzai 80 aum R & S Richie Hawtin s.o.b. Walter One Pass the Water Fabio Locati Maurizio Braccagani Francesco Zapala Pablo Gargano adam & eve Oliver Lieb Rising High Records Direct Drive
Koenig Cylinders"

They didn't even know what the fuck to call it even back then lmao. as soon as it became 'acid trance' or whatever in 94 it was over.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is my favourite trance tape it's probably one of he three only good trance mixes in the world tremendous never lets up straight in.