CrowleyHead

there is a contradiction here:

Some people are saying mcdonalds soul is not soul music because it isn't sincerely emotional or whatever. On the contrary I am saying it is. I am saying that capitalism wants to think we're human outside of its mechanisms, that it hasn't subjected everything to quantification. this is how it perpetuates ideologies left and right wing. Politics becomes a modulation that can be abandoned at will or when convenient.

It is not soul in the afro-american sense, but neither do the infrastructures existing in the black communities in the united states exist in the same way in the 21st century.

Jill Scott is correctly called neo-soul (in a rhythm and blues continuum.) I am not here to discuss her merits or demerits here. FTR I find her nice to listen to. sometimes it works sometimes bit boring. simple. like some broken beat and kirk degiorgio. not music for all occasions because of its backwards tinted purism but I can dig it. nothing more left to say.

And this is where my gripe with a lot of metal comes in. It's a soulful anger that capitalism modulates. I am human, please appreciate my dexterity and technical prowess. When my mum says this shit you listen to all sounds the same and is made by machines, that's fucking fantastic, that's exactly what I want her to say. I'm not interested in people who have a righteous anger and work for justice and a contemptible cause, I'm interested in killing machines raised on a diet of bizzy B. this is the only way the revolution will succeed.

Communists have no constitutions to propose, they only have those which must be destroyed!

This is the most humanizing of third's cries to arms yet. Every aspect of this essentially implies he'd wear a beret, but never does he feel like he's talking down to you.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i've always been perplexed by third's ostensible identity. how can a bloke who says he's my age have such open grievances with 'soul boys'? why would a kurd be so proud of there turkish identity?

but now it all makes sense. he's a 65 year old from new orleans. looks like dick gregory

Really though.

luka

I listened to a love supreme today and thought of this. Id run out of data and I was too high to go downstairs to the shop to buy more so I was sending barty texts giving him instructions.

Interesting what a love supreme gets away with looking at it sensibly now. I've run out of data. But this needs having a look at for all sorts of reasons

If you're killing time on there later do me a favour and try and work out how ALS fits into beyond soul.

With reference to old acts looking hokey now james dean. The authentic vs the illusion. Help si out. Play with him

What hollows out our religious interiorities? What carves our interior . Resonance. How does this stuff actually work

What's this getting away with. Why do we let this record do this? Is it a trick?

What Imaginal realities squat and occupy these shells?

NOW IT'S BARTYS TURN THIS IS WHAT HE SAID

Engineer music

Elvin's iconisation with McCoy's pantheism

Harmonic womb with brass orgasm

I NOW ASK A QUESTION

Does it invent a feeling or express a feeling

BARTY ANSWERS

I tend to opt for invent with music

AND THEN LUKE SAYS

It's where it gets interesting I think

AND THEN BARTY SAYS

Certain harmonic tricks to evoke church, but really it's not prescriptive

luka

AND THEN I SAY

But what is church

Know what I mean

AND THEN BARTY SAYS

Of course

AND THEN I SAY

That's where it opens up

Lonnie Donnegal

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's impossible to *truly* believe in the universal mass market soul music if you're a connoisseur of music today. I realised Simon's point tonight it was a very good observation. all the notes were in the right place but the vocal acrobatics were overdone to hell.it was quite revolting.

luka

What was Simons point again. I thought it wAs an interesting one but I've forgotten how it went

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this guy on the radio tonight was talking about how soulful these polished turkish folk influenced stuff from the 90s was. I can believe it was genuinely soulful to him. all the emotions have been coded to hit precise neuronal response mechanisms.

luka

It's a good thread topic this. Glad I thought of it but I haven't been able to establish a foothold in it. By the time I got back from work it was six pages in and all over the fucking place.

luka

I mean, I don't actually believe it entirely. I think it's a half truth. But it's interesting.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that's also why i believe free jazz needs to get of its academic/arts ghetto during these times. unfortunately, whilst I welcome Kamasi trying to do this with jazz I think the epic was totally flat. made me reach for pharoah.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean, I don't actually believe it entirely. I think it's a half truth. But it's interesting.

Well yeah. There was definitely a large part of sincerity in Aretha. just not as much as some would like to believe. A totally rehearsed Aretha would be like Mariah.

luka

I don't sit around listening to Derek Bailey as a rule, in groups, yes, but not solo but I did dutifully read Watsons book about him and it feeds into this discussion. He was allergic to any soulful or spiritual type moves. Seemed to think it was all, to use a crowleyism, carney stuff. Huckster stuff. The same old moves.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
thing with Watson is he is a posho who looks at everything from the pov of music theory. It's a quite enlightenment way of looking at things. he only rates free jazz/improv because of how every commodity he owns can be dissected. it's an ideational game of mathematics. pretty pointless, a bit like those IDM people who just want Autechre clone after Autechre clone.