Leo

Fucking hell, shops are expecting you to tip just for buying ordinary groceries now?

some of this is bullshit that might go on in some "progressive" sections of Brooklyn but certainly not all encompassing. believe me, no one tips when buying food at a grocery store.

catalog

Oh I see what you mean, yeah he is a nice guy, but nice guy Eddie is not really a nice guy is what I mean. And then who would nice guy Eddie's dad be?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Tipping inflation is weird to me, like say you pay ten percent of the bill for a tip, then, as the bill rises you pay more, it's built in to rise with inflation, so why does the percentage need to keep rising too?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Eh? So the main guy putting everything together, who is a right grumpy cunt, that's Leo? Doesn't add up at all that. You've not thought this through.
I don't think he's grumpy, he's just under stress cos he's the oldest and wisest and he's putting it all together, thinking about potential problems etc if he's a bit short at times with young hotheads arguing about their codenames, then that's to be expected.

catalog

He seems really stuck in his ways, not into trying new things out. Sort of intolerant. Someone who's hadx enough of life. Doesn't sound like Leo at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

Leo

Tipping inflation is weird to me, like say you pay ten percent of the bill for a tip, then, as the bill rises you pay more, it's built in to rise with inflation, so why does the percentage need to keep rising too?

the other disconnect (is that a word that should be cancelled?) with tipping percentages is the time and effort to prepare a restaurant order may very well be the same for dishes that include more costly ingredients. for example, it takes pretty much the same about of time and effort to make a $10 cheese pizza and a $25 pizza with expensive toppings, yet your 20% tip on the expensive one is considerable more. even though the two pizzas require the same amount of time and effort to make.

takes the same amount of time and effort to grill a cheap hanger steak as it does Kobe beef. should the tip be the same for the two dishes, even though the menu price is much higher on the Kobe?

Last edited:

Leo

seems to me the amount of tips should be commensurate with the time, effort and expertise needed to create the order. does a bartender who makes a simple gin-and-tonic deserve the same tip as one who creates a complicated cocktail?

Leo

oddly, for all this arguing, I usually tend to overtip because...why not? If you can make someone feel appreciated while they trudge through what's probably a dreary job of waiting tables or pouring a beer, then a few bucks doesn't really matter.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
seems to me the amount of tips should be commensurate with the time, effort and expertise needed to create the order. does a bartender who makes a simple gin-and-tonic deserve the same tip as one who creates a complicated cocktail?
I suppose, but you'd have thought the hourly rate for the job would reflect that, too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
the other disconnect (is that a word that should be cancelled?)

Well, one thing that often makes for an ugly word is so called "verbing" when you take a noun and use it to create a verb. For an example consider, er, verbing - verb is a noun but by adding the ing we imply that there exists the verb To Verb ie to make a noun (or other type of word I guess) into a verb.

Here you - or whoever did it first - have seemingly done the opposite, there is a verb To Disconnect but you've used it to make a noun. I wouldn't necessarily say the result needs to be cancelled but it's certainly inelegant.

IdleRich

IdleRich
oddly, for all this arguing, I usually tend to overtip because...why not? If you can make someone feel appreciated while they trudge through what's probably a dreary job of waiting tables or pouring a beer, then a few bucks doesn't really matter.

I tend to kinda absent mindedly tip taxi drivers and waiters with what sems to be fair and I often seem to be told off for being generous by my companions, so I have no issue with tipping. But people demanding a tip, demanding a tip of a certain amount, asking for a tip for just doing their job which previously was performed without any extra inducement are all things that rub me up the wrong way.

With the thing about more expensive food garnering a bigger tip although requiring no more work, one instance springs to mind. It was a few years back when the Evening Standard was giving out these vouchers that gave something like eighty percent discount on meals at high end restaurants - not including drinks or desserts etc So although it looked like a really good deal, unless you were disciplined the price kept up pretty quickly anyway. But we smart and avoided any of the expensive stuff. So the meal would have cos, say, a ton so after the discount it should have been around twenty quid, however, to our chagrin the bill was almost twice that. It turned out that they had added a service charge of fifteen percent on the UNdiscounted price. We had a big argument about that with them claiming that it was fair to 'suggest' a service charge based on the cost of the food rather than the price we paid for the meal. Whatever the rights and wrongs here I think it highlights the arbitrary nature of tipping based on the cost cos clearly the work they did didn't change. Anyway they refused to back down so in the end we asked whether we had to pay the service charge... and they grudgingly admitted that it was optional. So... well, I can't remember, but I hope we gave them nothing the cheeky gits.

william_kent

I've only been to Japan once, although I should be visiting Tokyo again later this year as long as the CCP don't fuck it up for me again with their covid shit, but from what I understand it is an INSULT to tip because they're just doing their job:

It is in the Japanese culture to take pride in your work. As such, employees have the highest standards when supplying a service and don't feel the need to accept tips to feel appreciated. Indeed, as stated in many Japan travel guide, attempting to tip staff can be offensive.

but then again the taxi drivers don't seem to mind...so what goes on?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've only been to Japan once, although I should be visiting Tokyo again later this year as long as the CCP don't fuck it up for me again with their covid shit, but from what I understand it is an INSULT to tip because they're just doing their job

Sounds like a dirty trick the management have successfully pulled on the rank and file. Next step is surely to convince them that they should be so proud of their work that they should entirely refuse all payment.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ok, so in a bit gotta go to police station, deal with this (as mentioned in the ACAB thread)

"This is a good one. A few months back I'm driving my car late at night, randomly stopped by the police, they breathalyze me, all fine and ask to see the documentation for the car. Now I bought it in Liza's name so fucking Barnaby has a flash of genius and realizes I'm not Elizaveta V******* they get mad suspicious and think I've nicked the car. They search me against a wall, search car everything. But when I can give all her details easily and correctly they realise my story checks out, they give me the wallet that contains the docs and I drive off.

Yesterday stopped again. They ask for the docs, I give em the wallet and this time I anticipate the problem. I say "Yes I know it says a woman's name but blah blah" but looking through looking box, they say "there's no document for ownership here". I'm thinking they're crazy, what you on about, I know it's in there look.... except it's not. Seems the other guys forgot to put it back. So unless I can produce it by Monday - which is gonna be impossible cos the only way to get a new one involves going to a notary, which I've just done, and then they send it off and it comes in the post whenever - I'm getting 200 euro fine or something's. Cos the police lost, or in fact stole, my fucking documentation.

I told the story to the notary, I said "I think the police lost it for me" and she says "yeah probably" completely unsurprised."

So I gotta go deal with it - but the more I think about it, the more it seems unfair. I want to point out what happened and argue my point. Maybe I can't avoid being fined, but I do want to at least register my feelings and have it recorded somewhere that this is an injustice.

Problem is, as a rule, I tend to be quite shy, someone who avoids confrontation even when I'm right, with the final upshot that I can be a bit of a pushover ie I let people do things they shouldn't or I agree to things I don't want to do.

And today I don't want to do that, and, as we are in the intoxication thread, It probably doesn't take a genius to understand that I'm thinking about chemical assistance in growing a backbone.

What I've plumped for is a combination a few friends have recommended recently, that is to say that I smoked a load of crack to raise my confidence levels and make me less likely to just quietly accept any outright lies or unfair statements on their part.

But I tempered that with some Xanax to take the edge off and tp ensure I appear outwardly calm. I want to be confident and self-assured but in control, not some manic, sweating, shouting hyperactive kinda guy. Rather I intend to be smoothly unruffled, unwilling to be brow-beaten but far from hectoring when I make my own points.

What you thinking guys, good plan? Reading back it looks to me as though I can't fail, right now I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the fine and offer me a job too while I'm there.

But I do like to consider oher viewpoints so please tell me how good you think this plan is.