DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't know if I can think of BIBLE as beautiful as such, much as I love it. A mate once commented "imagine getting into an argument on the internet with that bloke".

Here's one I'm a bit borderline about, it's one of my favourite reggae songs, but does it tip over into beautiful? A bit too uptempo maybe? But listening to the vocal....

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm listening through this thread, The Commodores reminded me of this whick knocked me socks off when I was 15:

version

I can't decide whether the drums are too in your face for this to count, but those pads and keys...

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This one requires a short explanation.

I must be in the small minority of people born between, say, 1960 and 2000 who grew up in a white, Anglophone, lower-middle-class family that didn't own a single piece of Beatles music. Not so much as a home-copied Greatest Hits tape. Both my parents were much more into the Stones and other more hard-rock stuff and regarded the Beatles as a bit, I dunno, trivial or silly, maybe - "it's just pop", something like that. Anyway, my dad was driving when there was an announcement on the news of John Lennon's murder, and then they played 'Jealous Guy', and he found himself just streaming with tears because of this stupid, gratuitous tragedy. He was probably in a slightly unusual emotional state anyway, as he'd just become a dad for the first time (I was about seven weeks old).

But he had this song on 7", only it wasn't the Lennon version, it was the version recorded shortly after his death as a tribute by our favourite exponent of Cranerian yacht-fascism, Bryan Ferry:

Still love it.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

this song has the same impact on me as some of the alice coltrane music. sunrise, dew, flowers opening their petals, the potential of a day, the mind still empty.

martin

----
This one requires a short explanation.

But he had this song on 7", only it wasn't the Lennon version, it was the version recorded shortly after his death as a tribute by our favourite exponent of Cranerian yacht-fascism, Bryan Ferry:

Still love it.

A tune that reminds me of early childhood. My sister used to tape the Capital Radio chart rundown and kept certain ones she liked, and that song was definitely one of the highlights...

...tho sadly tempered by Kid Jensen gabbing over the closing chords, "A good one to listen to in the bath!" (insert wanker emoji)

entertainment

Is beauty ontologically objective?

The times I think I've experienced something truly beautiful, it has always felt like going outside of the of the human realm and touching upon some higher truth. I don't think that can be all in my head, an illusion contrived by culture, politics and history.

entertainment

I mean, obviously there's a pervasive cultural concept of beauty, which is a construct, but is there something else too? does it serve as shorthand for some higher light? A divine essence

luka

My tendency has been to think in terms of a convergence. So instead of beauty inhering exclusively in the beautiful object or solely in the subjective experience it's a product of a meeting.

This allows me to deny that these experiences are wholly subjective thus letting me cling on to a notion of value or if not of value then at least of objective difference, while at the same time helps account for all those occasions on which encounter with the beautiful object fails to engender an experience of beauty.

Why this song here, which on one occasion moved me profoundly, today is dross. Why this landscape, which I know in my heart is beautiful, can't induce me to lift up my eyes from my phone.

The encounter becomes the point at which beauty is situated, and dependent on ourselves being equal to what if offered. Being able to switch into the I-Thou mode of Buber, not just towards people but towards place, towards the artwork etc

luka

Subvert, entertainment has upped the ante, he's creating a whole aesthetic philosophy from scratch now. He's going to crystallise the very meaning of beauty. We've moved on from the youtubes.

luka

Don't let the flow of soggy sentiment and schmaltz interrupt your profound cogitations.

entertainment

But it's undervalued, beauty, right? Think in public spaces, what it does to you when you walk around among beautiful surroundings. There's an economic dimension of course, but some buildings, it seems, they build them purposefully ugly. Like they didn't have to make them that ugly.

I'm not saying we should celebrate the opulent, baroque tendencies but we shouldn't fall into the political temptation of fetishizing ugliness and brutalism either.