Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You've described something I've often felt so perfectly that I'm obliged to not disagree with you

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No, the most beautiful song is one tribe featuring gem- what have you done.

It allows us to visit a achingly beautiful world that we can't inhabit, and on the one hand we're overcome with the beauty and on the other the sadness of not being able to stay. A bit like the comedown off nice drugs can feel.

Not sure how you feel about The Streets but "Weak Become Heroes" has this great bit where it transitions from the yearny piana chords, "still remember my first e", to the bare bones of sitting in a cafe, old and washed up.

It makes me want to cry just thinking about it actually.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listened to it just now and it disappointed me. But I am sat at a desk in a horribly bright office.

I'll try it when I've drunk some wine and I'm on the tube home, aloneagainor.

poetix

we murder to dissect

There was a period of time in which lots of young men seemed to think that Lost In Translation had opened a window of some sort into their souls, and I think we can retroactively diagnose this as misidentified thirst for Scarlett Johansson, who was undeniably alluring in it, in that sort of slightly vacant way that leaves plenty of room for projection. It would be instructive to screen it back to back with Under The Skin.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I find Aphex's beautiful stuff inhumanly beautiful. Almost beautiful in the same depersonalised way that a cloud is.* Whereas 'Let's Stay Together' is beautiful in the way that saying goodbye forever to someone you love is.

*Always a "coldness" to it, a sense of something at some sort of remove from human emotion

luka

There was a period of time in which lots of young men seemed to think that Lost In Translation had opened a window of some sort into their souls, and I think we can retroactively diagnose this as misidentified thirst for Scarlett Johansson, who was undeniably alluring in it, in that sort of slightly vacant way that leaves plenty of room for projection. It would be instructive to screen it back to back with Under The Skin.

She certainly got under the skin of Craner who was like a cartoon dog, tongue lolling out and drooling

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I find Aphex's beautiful stuff inhumanly beautiful. Almost beautiful in the same depersonalised way that a cloud is.* Whereas 'Let's Stay Together' is beautiful in the way that saying goodbye forever to someone you love is.

*Always a "coldness" to it, a sense of something at some sort of remove from human emotion

Beauty that's terrifying. A reminder that 'awful' and 'awesome' really mean the same thing.

Last edited:

poetix

we murder to dissect
She certainly got under the skin of Craner who was like a cartoon dog, tongue lolling out and drooling

Well, I can sympathise, although it's always struck me as strange that history has just forgotten that Thora Birch was far and away the hotter and more interesting of the two of them in Ghost World.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

i think this song is beautiful because it sounds like the song a mother would sing to make her child fall asleep gently. can someone translate it for me in english?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Answering my own question about whether rap can be beautiful. The hook on this is absolutely killing me. I've listened to this song about 50 times since this morning. The hook is reminding me of Sly Stone. So good.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Since you bring up Pharcyde, I find "Passing me By" beautiful. And also "Return of the B Boy", which might be less understandable.