Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In my head, the ultimate Brexiteers are a smug couple in late middle age, who live in a small town in, I dunno, Norfolk probably. They're not rich exactly, but are financially secure - both retired, own their home outright and two cars, one of which is a Jag. Didn't go to university, have probably never left the country - or if they did, it was a single holiday to Spain once, years ago, but they found it too hot, everyone spoke funny, the food was weird and the toilets weren't proper, so they didn't bother again.

And they get a warm feeling inside, a real beautiful glow, from knowing that their own grandchildren won't be any to participate in the Erasmus student exchange programme. Neither of them benefited from it, so why should anyone else? Young people have it too easy these days, anyway.

That'll show those uppity youngsters, with their stupid pronouns and their ooga-booga rap music.

That'll put them in their place, and stop them getting ideas above their station.

That'll show them.

luka

That's your dad and Richs isn't it? I don't mean that as a gotcha. But it must increase your personal frustration knowing your own parents are to blame? Just psychoanalysing here

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's your dad and Richs isn't it? I don't mean that as a gotcha. But it must increase your personal frustration knowing your own parents are to blame? Just psychoanalysing here
Yes and no. I'm out at the moment but will enlarge on my return.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well not really, because my dad was chuffed that I went to uni and certainly never resented me for it. He's more of a fishing-quotas-straight-bananas-and-silly-profligate-Greeks style of Brexiteer. And I think lately even he's started to come round to the idea that it's all been a bit of a fuck-up.

And the people I'm caricaturing would never have moved to France in a million years!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But yeah, there are certainly points of overlap. People who've done OK for themselves without much of a formal education almost can't help being fairly right wing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes and no. I'm out at the moment but will enlarge on my return.
My parents did vote Leave and I'm at a loss to explain why. I don't feel it was vindictiveness or frustration as such cos they aint frustrated and they didn't really lack opportunity (relative to the time) - although my brother is furious at the opportunities his child will lose and he does blame them.
I think that they voted for perceived gains in terms of sovereignty and economics- which is completely insane, especially as Dad was a director of a national finance company and did apparently have an understanding of this kind of stuff.
The best explanation I can offer, especially in conjunction with some of their actions around this issue and the weird blind spots when discussing this is basically - sadly - lack of understanding of other people's situation or possibly onset of senile dementia.
I also think that the degeneration of the Telegraph from a right-wing paper of dubious attitude but decent reporting, to a total fucking joke has been extremely dangerous for those who have read and trusted it for decades and who don't have sources outside it to warn it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yep, the impact of the Foxification of the Telegraph can't be overstated, I think.

Which is odd, since it's the Times that's owned by News Corp, and although it's clearly pretty right-wing I don't think it's gone nuts like the Telegraph has.

Leo

Which is odd, since it's the Times that's owned by News Corp, and although it's clearly pretty right-wing I don't think it's gone nuts like the Telegraph has.

Same deal with Murdoch's Wall Street Journal: conservative opinion pages but the news side is pretty even handed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yep, the impact of the Foxification of the Telegraph can't be overstated, I think.

Not even Foxification I think but Barclay bros running it - as they do everything - purely for their own interests. Fuck actual news.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply a connection to Fox News, per se, more that it's become unmoored from reality.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just got this ad in fb feed

There are many important differences between Portuguese and British funeral arrangements, but did you know that these can cause complications for your loved ones further down the line?
Avalon Funeral Plans are designed for British expats in Portugal to give peace of mind for when the time comes, avoiding any unexpected costs for your loved ones and allowing you to have a funeral either in the UK or Portugal.
Download your free guide today to find the right plan for your circumstances.