version

My worry re: the initial point the other day about moving on from Brexit is collectively reaching a stage where we've no idea how we ended up where we did and leaving history up for grabs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think the problem a lot of Remainers make is assuming that everyone who voted for Brexit did so for basically false reasons. When in fact, there may be plenty of reasons for voting to Leave that aren't just racism or stupidity (though no doubt these are in the mix for many). Voting for govt that's close to you geographically for instance.
As far as I can recall though I've never ever heard a Leaver ever cite any good reason. And that includes MPs and journalists etc
The reason you give above is hardly a game changing masterstroke anyway, while it's probably the best argument I've heard for brexit in that it's sonething a reasonable person could conceivably have a mild preference for, it hardly seems worth destroying the economy and taking away the rights of our citizens for.
Remoaners will get the blame anyway so we might as well fucking point it out soon.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not my experience. I'm good friends with an older Leave voter, who's basically politically a Green, and he cites his reasons as wanting to discourage "all of this trade" for environmental reasons.
Fucking hell, a leaver position that almost makes sense.
A question though, will Brexit decrease international trade as a whole or just to UK? Genuinely I dunno.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The beauty of the Leave campaign was that a slogan like "Take Back Control" is very simple. And like a rorschach inkblot, it leaves people to project their own complex answers, hopes and needs into the space that it opens up.
Or their own simple ones if they prefer.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Brexit makes me so angry and sad i can barely type coherently...
For sure, the choice of deliberately fucking our own economy, destroying businesses and reducing choice and availability for commuters is bad... and the reduction of our own freedoms and those of our descendants and so on - and its celebration - is even worse... but what really sickens and saddens me is the clear and specific rejection of our neighbours, maybe I'm a fucking hippy I dunno, but just an increase of nastiness, a message to everyone that we hate them and want to be further from them, a reduction in closeness... Brexit is a triumph of spite over kindness.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
If this didn't involve our lives and our ability to buy French wine, I'd be gripped to this fascinating show.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If this didn't involve our lives and our ability to buy French wine, I'd be gripped to this fascinating show.
I think that's exactly why I got so into the US election.
I'd much rather watch that than the Brexit fuck-up in the news cos a) it affects me less and b) there is a much better chance that the (relatively) good guys will come out on top. In fact, more importantly, the really bad guys will come out at the bottom.

version

Screenshot-from-2020-12-21-16-47-20.png

version

"Your father’s lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

IdleRich

IdleRich
At least Eden loves his country.
In the biggest selling novel of all time mankind is expelled from an earthly paradise called Eden after being tricked by a snake... now, in a case of life not really imitating something that's barely art, mankind is tricked by a snake named Farage into expelling itself from earthly paradise, but at least they get to keep Eden.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Brexit makes me so angry and sad i can barely type coherently...
For sure, the choice of deliberately fucking our own economy, destroying businesses and reducing choice and availability for commuters is bad... and the reduction of our own freedoms and those of our descendants and so on - and its celebration - is even worse... but what really sickens and saddens me is the clear and specific rejection of our neighbours, maybe I'm a fucking hippy I dunno, but just an increase of nastiness, a message to everyone that we hate them and want to be further from them, a reduction in closeness... Brexit is a triumph of spite over kindness.
I think an awful lot of people (and a lot of awful people) voted Leave in 2016 and then Conservative (or worse) in two subsequent elections in the full knowledge that there wasn't a cat's chance in hell that it would Make Britain Great Again or even achieve some measurable thing that they might have wanted, like a reduction in immigration or less competition for jobs and therefore an increase in wages, but simply as a way of sticking their middle finger up and the frogs, krauts and eye-ties, and - just as importantly - at the sort of Brits who don't really mind frogs, krauts and eye-ties, and who willingly spend time with them or otherwise interact with them in a way that's not directly antagonistic and competitive.