Rewiring

version

What's the stuff that rewired you, that expanded your horizons? I'm not necessarily talking favourites, I mean the stuff where there's a clear before and after, the stuff you didn't know could be done. You can toss in films, books and whatever too, if you feel like it.

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
(circa 2012) after i heard trout mask replica and, on a second listen, greatly enjoyed it, i decided i could never dismiss any music or art simply for being "too weird" ever again. not sure that was a great call from a social perspective but there's no going back now...

(circa 2016) listening to this playlist and realizing i liked and "got" 90s electronic music way more genuinely than the classical music i had been trying to appreciate for the past few years.

what are yours version?

Reactions: sus

Leo

three big shifts in my life...

from mainstream to "underground": as an early teen, it was Lou reed. I probably would have stayed on the straight and narrow of popular music had I not listened to my older brother's copy of "transformer" and then went out and bought "Coney Island baby" with the money saved from mowing lawns and delivering newspapers. became fascinated at this other world of sleaze and the risqué.

from guitar bands/new wave to dance music: going to see new order at the paradise garage and being blown away not by the band but by the dj sets and general dance floor vibe before and after they played. I'd never been in a proper dance club before, the sound system was amazing (I think one of the first funktion systems), so loud yet so clear, surrounding, not one sound but individual elements of the sound that you could crawl into and get inside of. I have no idea of Larry levan was DJing that night, I'd like to think he was.

from "regular" music to weird electronic and dub: later it was definitely basic channel, had no idea that type of thing could exits, never mind did exist.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

friends have told me that "joe" from lou reed's walk on the wild side was based on me, but i can't really comment on that.i did happen to meet lou reed once. it was a velvet underground gig. he played me a crude homemade demo of venus in furs and asked if it was too much to put on an album. i just looked at him, smiled wrly and said "take a walk in the wild side". i have no idea if that influenced the song or not.

anyway, that was a long time ago and all in the past now.

classic leo story that is.

version

later it was definitely basic channel, had no idea that type of thing could exits, never mind did exist.

They're just so singular. You can throw around terms like dub techno, but it doesn't really do them justice. I remember hearing Imprint for the first time and being completely bowled over by the scale of it. There was just so much space.

version

Mark Fell's stuff was quite the eye opener. I was already into Autechre, AFX and stuff by that point, but that thing of working with a handful of elements and outside the usual DAW timeline was really exciting to me. Still is tbh. Autechre were obviously another one -- Gantz Graf blew my head off.

Simon silverdollarcircle

It's coil for me.

Was like stepping through a door into a different world. Not just their music, but everything it's connected to. A different way of thinking and being. I'm still following the threads and the rabbit holes years later.

luka

For me it's things that didn't make sense at first contact but then something shifted and it became completely magical. I'd had a go at listening to dub before the first time I listened to it stoned and the difference was like between an inanimate object and a creature you can hear breathing, watch the heart beat in the chest, feel the living warmth of

luka

A love supreme took a while to cohere into music but when it did it became one of the most intense and profound listening experiences I've ever had.

Listening to Bernard Parmigiani while taking repeated hits of DMT was unforgettable. The closeness of it. The physicality. It's like nothing else on earth.

luka

The drums on wii pt 2 off dark magus rewired me when I smoked my first spliff in over a year and listened on headphones.

luka

How did you end up being into ambient? I mean, really into it. Cos everyone thinks it's nice, but not many people become passionate about it. that must have involved some kind of rewiring job?

Simon silverdollarcircle

How did you end up being into ambient? I mean, really into it. Cos everyone thinks it's nice, but not many people become passionate about it. that must have involved some kind of rewiring job?

Probably listening to GAS when I was up at all hours with our newborn daughter a few years ago. Everything seemed freighted with meaning and profundity because of the sleep deprivation and the life changing events and so the music went beyond nice/relaxing and I heard it as some kind of foundational ur-music.

But I think Wolfgang voigt's stuff has a similar effect on lots of people cos it has a grandeur to ut

luka

Droid went from jungle and dancehall to ambient after he had children too. Intriguing.

Leo

forgot to extend the impact of my earlier post: discovering the world of Lou reed as an early teen also planted the seed of fascination with New York.

amazing to think about how one random experience can shape a life: New York then became my college destination and eventual home. had I not heard "transformer" at 13, I may have spent my entire life in some boring desk job in a small town in Massachusetts.