Rewiring

version

Whether rewiring via music can be a negative intrigues me. Can you hear something and have your tastes or view tainted and damaged by it?

nilprenia

I'm having trouble with this question. There are a lot of things I had realizations about, came around to late but nothing that would equate to a permanent rewiring.

muser

I remember the first time hearing jungle I'd barely heard any drum and bass or much electronic music for that matter, was some congo natty record a friend played to me, was impossible to compute, completely scrambled my fragile brain.

muser

Hearing Vex'ds gunman at some freeparty in Wales when I was (probably) full body gurning on pills was probably another. metallic screeching sub bass rollercoaster ride. Not remotely similar to anything the was being played at parties where I was. I decided then that dubstep was great and bought loads of records that year, still would maintain the was the only good year for dubstep, if I had to pick out any dubstep tracks that I might be and to listen all the way through to now they would almost definitely be from 2005.

nilprenia

I dunno if you said it recently or if I caught it combing old threads third, but you bringing up the tyranny of familiarity got me thinking

woops

is not like other people
Hearing Vex'ds gunman at some freeparty in Wales when I was (probably) full body gurning on pills was probably another. metallic screeching sub bass rollercoaster ride. Not remotely similar to anything the was being played at parties where I was. I decided then that dubstep was great and bought loads of records that year, still would maintain the was the only good year for dubstep, if I had to pick out any dubstep tracks that I might be and to listen all the way through to now they would almost definitely be from 2005.
thread

Woebot

What's the stuff that rewired you, that expanded your horizons? I'm not necessarily talking favourites, I mean the stuff where there's a clear before and after, the stuff you didn't know could be done. You can toss in films, books and whatever too, if you feel like it.

rewired...

this video on the telly at the school sanitorium

@sufi and i first heard this when i found a copy in italy in the eighties

teenaged discovering hash simultaneously

when i "got" acid

on the radio in 1993

in the car in camden

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Very much so. He is still like this. 'Conceptronica'. It's one of my favourite things about him. He doesn't have that critic-as-subsidiary humility, he has a very elevated view of the critics role. It's the critic that makes things happen, the critic, as I say, as much more important than the dumb musicians.

Merlin not the stupid knights (who are pretty much expendable)

have you read this though?

it's so funny.