Rewiring

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My first night on pills rewired me completely. I went from thinking drum n bass was mostly unlistenable shite to listening to it round the clock. Particularly sets. I wasn't picky and snobby about it at that point, then I explored more and more and inevitably ended up preferring first dark/'intelligent' dnb and then jungle. I'd had the context before but never the context plus the drugs and the scales fell from my mangled eyes.

I reckon actually that night rewired me for ALL dance music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is one of the most useful things about drugs really - they make your brain temporarily open, receptive, pliable. (Sometimes too much - you think some piece of music is amazing stoned and listen to it sober and wonder what you were thinking.)

It's drugs and social contexts for me, generally. Most if not all of my solo rewiring experiences have involved at the very least weed.

luka

Social contexts is a good point too. Seeing how other people react and use music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You can't understand any dance music without seeing people dance to it. Not to say you can't still dismiss it but listening to it in your bedroom isn't giving it a fair hearing.

That sort of thing always sounds a bit like an excuse "oh but if you heard it on a funktion 1!" buuut it's true.

Here's an interesting thought wot I just had - is the dominance of trap and EDM connected to the increasing availability of affordable bass-heavy speakers and headphones?

Leo

You can't understand any dance music without seeing people dance to it. Not to say you can't still dismiss it but listening to it in your bedroom isn't giving it a fair hearing.

this is why I sometimes question my dismissal of new things...I haven't been to a dance club in years, only listen on my computer, home stereo or earbuds. how the hell can I really judge it fairly when I'm experiencing it out of context?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You can't, I don't think. Unless maybe the music closely resbles what you were dancing to...

Even then, there's been plenty of occasions where a tune I didn't care for at home was unveiled in a club as a banger. Again, that combo of the loudness, the intensity and the crowd reaction.

luka

I remember hearing a lot of contemporary R&B at a club in Amsterdam a few years back and realising there was a whole section of sound in these records I didn't even imagine existed. Completely different records. Much much better than I thought.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
loads of cologne acid, just fucked me up so much i ended up spending £60 on weed a day just to chase that high as a perpetual constant, as well as loads of acid, when it was available.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I remember hearing a lot of contemporary R&B at a club in Amsterdam a few years back and realising there was a whole section of sound in these records I didn't even imagine existed. Completely different records. Much much better than I thought.

This reminds me of a funny experience I had in one of those awful meat market clubs which I'd been peer pressured into going to. They played "Yeah!" By ursher and I'd never heard the 808 in it before. I mean it was funny cos the context wasn't a cool RnB club, probably played the fucking Baywatch theme not long after, but I remember thinking fucking hell this makes this tune much better.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
How would you describe the state it gave you access to?
sensations of ceaseless expansion. the cosmos as not serine and blissed out, but as volts of particles. i felt my body no longer as me as a self-contained organism but as being incapsulated by and encapsulating all forcefields.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Is rewiring always permanent?

Has anyone ever lost what they gained, or reverted to their previous state ?

don't think so. there was a time when i thought that flying lotus album on warp was cool but did it rewire my brain? i don't think so. these days I'd just rather go for dilla's donuts beat tape. + flylo just went so pompous afterwards.

kumar

I reckon its a bit of an irreversible reaction, whenever I’ve had a rewiring moment it hasn’t come about from a process of intellectual interrogation or coming round to something philosophically it’s been a more instinctive matter of getting it, as vague as that is, or more likely not feeling like there’s something to get. I’ve maybe only had a reversal with something like improv which I was suddenly very excited about for a while and then began to feel more ambivalent towards. Someone said something really good here the other day about sonar blips uncovering the map and it feels more like a case of that, rather than dropping the enthusiasm entirely like a haphazard SWP phase or something.