Later in red and white cans.

woops

is not like other people
when we were kids, we thought Heineken was top shelf, the best of the best. American beers were all in cans or brown bottles, heinies were imported, and in green bottles! you were cool Is you drank them, or it was a special occasion.

had a bottle recently and it's kind of lame.
yes, a friend of mine went to the states andd ended up drinking with some beer "connoisseurs", and after they'd sampled god knows what, they said "but this is what we drink this is the real stuff" and got the stella out

luka

england doesnt have a stocking up on beer culture does it we dont generally buy slabs of beer. its becasue a)we are all too puny to carry a big box of beer and b)none of us know how to drive and c)the off licence is liteerally downstairs so when you run out its not big deal, go downstiars

woops

is not like other people
i meant (d) "stocking up" implies there will be some left next day but (a-c) are correct as well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
good question. maybe he likes idling at corner cafes where theres a poster of a pretty portugese pop star from the 1980s on the wall, a pinball machine in the corner, free peanuts and the only beer they sell is sagres?
That's actually a good point, every pastelaria that I am aware of sells only Sagres and Superbock and they are the vast majority of bars. On the street where we live there are five or six or them and no other bars.
There is a bit of a rivalry in that Superbock is from Porto and I've been told that often people refuse to serve you Sagres if you ask for it there. I dunno if that's true cos I've only been there once, but I have heard it several times. It's one of those rivalries that's a bit pathetic cos it's unreciprocated.... you know those things where, I dunno.... England hate Germany at football and think that every meeting is the grudge match of the century but Germany barely notices that England exists, treats it as any other game and almost invariably dicks on us anyhow.... except not this time eh, stick that up yer arse you... er, sorry where was I?

Leo

Lots of Japanese (and I think maybe Europeans) used to go for the James Dean American rebel thing, into wearing Levi's jeans and smoking Marlboros. Did that also extend to America beer? Can't imagine anyone thinking it's cool to drink Bud.

wild greens

Drinking Zubr here & watching soccer Saturday. Green with a big bison on it

When i was in algarve they had cristal which was brewed by superbock but seemed better? Sagres is fucking vile

Leo

That's actually a good point, every pastelaria that I am aware of sells only Sagres and Superbock and they are the vast majority of bars. On the street where we live there are five or six or them and no other bars.
There is a bit of a rivalry in that Superbock is from Porto and I've been told that often people refuse to serve you Sagres if you ask for it there. I dunno if that's true cos I've only been there once, but I have heard it several times. It's one of those rivalries that's a bit pathetic cos it's unreciprocated.... you know those things where, I dunno.... England hate Germany at football and think that every meeting is the grudge match of the century but Germany barely notices that England exists, treats it as any other game and almost invariably dicks on us anyhow.... except not this time eh, stick that up yer arse you... er, sorry where was I?

do you find any non-Portuguese beers there? are there Portuguese microbrews as an alternative to Sagres/SB?

woops

is not like other people
Lots of Japanese (and I think maybe Europeans) used to go for the James Dean American rebel thing, into wearing Levi's jeans and smoking Marlboros. Did that also extend to America beer? Can't imagine anyone thinking it's cool to drink Bud.
more like jack daniel's or wild turkey probaly

IdleRich

IdleRich
i meant (d) "stocking up" implies there will be some left next day but (a-c) are correct as well.
A few weeks ago we went to this French party, there are loads of French here and they are all posh and this couple we know hired this spot out in the middle of nowhere, had a kinda... I dunno, like a chalet... basically a big wooden hut where they put the sound system and I guess tables outside where they put a huge bbq and there were places to camp and stuff. But basically miles away from anywhere, it was a real ballache to get to cos at that point the law said cabs and ubers couldn't take more than two people. Anyway it was like 7am and this guy Arnaud who organised it said "Oi Rich have you got any overdrugs?" "You what?" "You know drugs that you don't want" cos it was completely out of the question to get someone to come from Lisbon at that point "Oh you should have asked earlier, had a load of stuff we didn't want so we chucked it in the forest... come on mate":

IdleRich

IdleRich
I did say something about this above...

When i was in algarve they had cristal which was brewed by superbock but seemed better? Sagres is fucking vile
Oh yeah people were talking about this Cristal thing yesterday but I don't really know what it is to be honest.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't think that Bud has ever been anything but lowest common denominator trash that stole its name from a Czech beer and then sued them to stop them using it.

Benny Bunter

This is the only beer you will find in any of Sevilla's 3000 bars. Its not bad, but only when extremely cold, and I only post the can because of the thread title - I'm strictly a tap or bottles man
images (1).jpeg