Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It is weird though, people are completely snapping after three days at home as though they've been stranded in a single room log cabin for the winter. I mean (and if she finds out about this comment I WILL deny everything) Liza keeps moaning about it and I'm thinking; we've been on semi-lockdown for five or six days, in that time we've been out to the shops and for a few other reasons, we've got drugs, we've got a living room with thousands of records, a big telly connected to the internet, we've got shelves full of books, a balcony all along the side of the living room if we need fresh air, we're in contact with all our friends, the cats are there to play with... it could be a billion times worse right?
Basically as I see it as long as you have food and internet so you're connected to everyone you need to be and can occupy your time watching that film you never got round to or that article you meant to read then you should be fine for the lockdown - I don't mean to downplay it, of course you will worry about the virus, your friends and family and so on but for ourselves we should be able to stay in for a few days.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Very glad for dissensus - providing a really good mixture of thought, news updates, levity in the right amounts when needed etc company ultimately.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah. Of course. For me it just shows how soft we are in the UK, what a load of gash all this blitz-spirit nonsense is.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As if the blitz was somehow unique and much more severe than all the other awful things that have happened to literally millions of people since.

entertainment

It is weird though, people are completely snapping after three days at home as though they've been stranded in a single room log cabin for the winter. I mean (and if she finds out about this comment I WILL deny everything) Liza keeps moaning about it and I'm thinking; we've been on semi-lockdown for five or six days, in that time we've been out to the shops and for a few other reasons, we've got drugs, we've got a living room with thousands of records, a big telly connected to the internet, we've got shelves full of books, a balcony all along the side of the living room if we need fresh air, we're in contact with all our friends, the cats are there to play with... it could be a billion times worse right?
Basically as I see it as long as you have food and internet so you're connected to everyone you need to be and can occupy your time watching that film you never got round to or that article you meant to read then you should be fine for the lockdown - I don't mean to downplay it, of course you will worry about the virus, your friends and family and so on but for ourselves we should be able to stay in for a few days.

i think the panic might be due to the first real estimates of economic damage coming in. the feeling that everyday we keep the biz closed, the hole gets bigger.

luka

Yeah. Of course. For me it just shows how soft we are in the UK, what a load of gash all this blitz-spirit nonsense is.

She's Russian though and they're supposed to be hard as nails? Jumping in ice baths and whipping themselves with birch branches

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just to be clear, what I said above applies to me and people in a similar situation. I get that there are loads of people who can't contact relatives, who might be disabled or otherwise sick or whatever... have some kind of problem that makes this situation much much worse. I'm not having a go at them. But for me and others like me (and I reckon there are quite a few) who are apparently healthy and have a decent enough place to hunker down in with food and entertainment, it ill behooves us to complain too much when it's far worse for many other people.

luka

Mind you if I was in power I'd force the farmers to grow extra turnips and cabbages right now. Get busy. Don't want to be buying turnips from abroad cos they will gouge us.

luka

Just to be clear, what I said above applies to me and people in a similar situation. I get that there are loads of people who can't contact relatives, who might be disabled or otherwise sick or whatever... have some kind of problem that makes this situation much much worse. I'm not having a go at them. But for me and others like me (and I reckon there are quite a few) who are apparently healthy and have a decent enough place to hunker down in with food and entertainment, it ill behooves us to complain too much when it's far worse for many other people.

That's the spirit Rich. Like I say we should be treating this like a holiday and having the best laugh possible under the circumstances.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually ignore everything I said - apparently we've just run out of curry ketchup, this is fucked up... we're all gonna die!

luka

Yeah loads of people saying that. Sadmanbarty, Trump, Peter Hitchens, comelately, Matthew Woebot. It's a mainstream viewpoint.

Entertainment I'd imagine you are in the kill the grandmas, save the economy camp too right?

luka

They've had their time anyway tbf. Not going to have too many more laughs now are they? Just a drain on resources if we look at it rationally and without mawkishness.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A year or so our friend (in Russia) kinda inherited this cat from his ex-girlfriend and he had to go away for a bit, asked his mum to look after it for a week. She replied "It's lived long enough, can't we just put it down?" - I was surprised by that attitude applied to a cat... but to people?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.