Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

One for Thirdform

"So in the course of progress all earlier reality becomes unreality, loses its necessity, its right of existence, its rationality; in place of the dying reality comes a new vital reality, peaceable when the old is sufficiently sensible to go to its death without a struggle, forcible when it strives against this necessity"

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/27814/27814-h/27814-h.htm

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My local morel patch is due to start fruiting any day now, and I'm damned if I'm going to let anything stop me picking them.

droid

It shouldn't need pointing out, but to be clear.

We rollback the restrictions, send people back to work, take some kind of half measures to protect the vulnerable but generally let the virus spread, then what happens?

Apart from the spectre of the dead lining hospitals corridors and the elderly dying in their beds en masse, workplaces start collapsing anyway as more and more people call in sick. Then we see younger people getting hit, being unable to access healthcare, and dying. Mortality goes through the roof, as various sectors shut down chaotically due to a mix of illness and fear. Transport and retail workers refuse to come in to avoid sickness and infecting their loved ones. Doctors and nurses walk out in protest. Mortality rates crest 5% and keep rising. Rubbish accumulates on the streets as anybody sane is now cooped up inside trying desperately to avoid killing themselves or their families. When the apocryphal 'herd immunity' is reached and/or a vaccine comes along, the corpses alone present a public health risk, and the cost of disinfecting workplaces and homes runs to the trillions and takes months.

There is going to be a crash no matter what we do. The question is how many people will die and how long it will go on for. Those advocating the approach above are psychopaths.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It finally seems to be sinking in in Russia. My girlfriend has spoken to a few people there over the last few weeks and until the last few days she's heard a lot of "What are you worrying about there, most people don't die from it do they?" basically like we were hearing here until lately, now the same people are getting scared and self-isolating etc There is a feeling that Putin is happy to let the old and weak die and as such he's not testing and revealing the true numbers. A year or so ago he fucked old people by falsely claiming that life-expectancy had increased and so it made sense for the state pension to kick in a few years later so I can understand why people are thinking that - also if Cummings likes that strategy why not Putin?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It finally seems to be sinking in in Russia. My girlfriend has spoken to a few people there over the last few weeks and until the last few days she's heard a lot of "What are you worrying about there, most people don't die from it do they?"

Strictly speaking, most people don't die in a game of (ahem) Russian roulette.

catalog

I had a conversation with my friend on Saturday morning, he's a psychology lecturer. We were saying that in our current society, it's like we have tried to outlaw or cancel death. Like we cannot handle it now, we don't think it should happen. It's not allowed, we cannot deal with it.

Leo

It shouldn't need pointing out, but to be clear.

We rollback the restrictions, send people back to work, take some kind of half measures to protect the vulnerable but generally let the virus spread, then what happens?

Apart from the spectre of the dead lining hospitals corridors and the elderly dying in their beds en masse, workplaces start collapsing anyway as more and more people call in sick. Then we see younger people getting hit, being unable to access healthcare, and dying. Mortality goes through the roof, as various sectors shut down chaotically due to a mix of illness and fear. Transport and retail workers refuse to come in to avoid sickness and infecting their loved ones. Doctors and nurses walk out in protest. Mortality rates crest 5% and keep rising. Rubbish accumulates on the streets as anybody sane is now cooped up inside trying desperately to avoid killing themselves or their families. When the apocryphal 'herd immunity' is reached and/or a vaccine comes along, the corpses alone present a public health risk, and the cost of disinfecting workplaces and homes runs to the trillions and takes months.

There is going to be a crash no matter what we do. The question is how many people will die and how long it will go on for. Those advocating the approach above are psychopaths.

plus, who's even going to be buying what these restarted companies offer? if you aren't already skint from being laid off, you'll want to save every penny in preparation for the coming recession/depression, do trump et al really think people are going to start splashing out on hotels/airlines/cruise line or even lots of retailers in a couple of weeks? insane.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So Trump has basically said that he wants to have the country open by Easter, a totally arbitrary date. What's gonna happen if there are still cases? I have the feeling that he'll be saying "It's all done and dusted, I defeated Corona on my own" and the thousands of sick and dead people piling up each day will just be fake news.

Leo

trump is an evil genius but also has the mind and attention span of a child. he's become bored with coronavirus and ready to move on.

version

Do the dusting.

Depends whether or not you have a dust allergy. You don't want to end up having to take antihistamines atm. it's something I worry about re: this stretching to summer/hayfever season too. You can't take stuff that suppresses your immune system but some people get absolutely destroyed by hayfever and having hayfever might also exacerbate the virus.

luka

Well I'm allergic to dust but that's why I thought it was important to get rid of it no one else is going to do it for me and if I get sick I want to be dying in a clean bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.