mvuent

Void Dweller
I think you're getting at the same thing? Why do we get these aesthically out of kilter periods where everything sounds tacky and cheap? It's possible to celebrate it and enjoy it. People loved the kitsch and the tackiness of dipset and heatmakers for instance. But what's it about? Not necessarily a bad thing. It's a wanton rejection of 'good taste' of 'proportion' of 'restraint'

idk but i agree with that too, absolutely. from what i've heard the 2000s were a dark age for a lot of electronic music, both in taste and production quality. probably brought on by the move to DAWs combined with rave era aesthetics going out of style.

luka

America was producing awful tat, England was producing awful tat, Jamacia was producing awful tat

mvuent

Void Dweller
like hardcore had bad production quality in an aesthetically compelling way, early dubstep had bad production quality in a repulsive (imo) way.

sadmanbarty

dancehall did have a rubbish bit from 2010-2015. the emergence of alkaline was the only saving grace from that era.

mvuent

Void Dweller
the order of those first five is cool because it shows how much production aesthetics have changed in the 2010s. i used to think it was just a matter of more "polish" but it's a lot more interesting than that. a deeper change, potentially.

what i meant here was less of a qualitative judgment. it's more like what i tried (unsuccessfully lol) to bring up in the grime thread. a move to a different type of cartoon physics. not the kind that runs through 80s turntablism and 90s rave. (it's also related to some of what was talked about in the conceptronica thread.) the 2000s were mostly a dark age because they were an inbetween period in this respect. anyways that's probably another thread.

luka

I think I'm hitting a problem you hit all the time when the older thing just seems terrible compared to the present thing. If you were around for the older thing then you can appreciate it. If not, then it's a lot harder

luka

Sounds much better on the speaker although not those 'scratching' sounds they're hideous

sadmanbarty

I think I'm hitting a problem you hit all the time when the older thing just seems terrible compared to the present thing. If you were around for the older thing then you can appreciate it. If not, then it's a lot harder

not acceptable in this case.

i'm going to send you to an internment camp for reeducation.

until you think gully vs gaza was the peak of human achievement we're not talking.