luka

For them there has been this traumatic break for us, we're like, it's all the fucking same to me, Jamaicans innit, yard man, lilt, limbo dancing. What's the problem

This is one of the things it took me a little bit to catch onto with drill. O it's English. They can't help it.mit sounds londonish. Even if it doesn't want to.

sadmanbarty

This is one of the things it took me a little bit to catch onto with drill. O it's English. They can't help it.mit sounds londonish. Even if it doesn't want to.

but the english things a bit shit. a bit of a cock softner. its school talent show.

whereas jamaicans are gods. take anything and smash it out the park. nothing out of the states comes close to 'dope' or 'dollar' sign.

luka

It's always been much more fluid every word gets a different inflection, bent differently, stretched, rolled over the tongue, relished. Much more decision getting made all the time

luka

Much more life in it. Young thug has that. But they've been doing it forever. They don't just deliver the line. Every vocable is an event. It's got so much life in it

sadmanbarty

I think I'm hitting a problem you hit all the time when the older thing just seems terrible compared to the present thing. If you were around for the older thing then you can appreciate it. If not, then it's a lot harder

its funny because as music's got amazing again in the last few years (after a good half-decade of being awful) my time barrier's been shifting. more and more of the past is getting eaten up (like that great sea of whiteness that eats universes at the begining of crisis on infinte earths).

but more than that the recent past has been made redundant.

i'm weary of feeling like that on the one hand, but on the other hand it is exciting to go fuck it just full steam ahead with the future, fuck everything else before it. even stuff that was the future only a few years ago.

for example i can imagine if you get something like that pop smoke thing getting a bit more rhythmically sophisticated in terms of the fragmented raps i can imagine completely abandoning my huncho jack and all that. thinking it was important in establishing a new rhythmic language, but now we've got something heavier and grittier doing the same thing i don't need it anymore. it happened already with pre-culture future and young thug. i can't really listen to it.

its a double edged sword as you lose lots of music you love, but it is exciting.

sadmanbarty

by that logic- or more like by that instinct- something like kartel's 'dollar sign' with that piercing "the shotta dem a PREEEEE the dollar sign" would be made redundant by having tommy lee and popcaan doing that same thing all the time. they purified it and perfected it.

luka

you want that ultimately. To have a sense of going forward. I don't think I have that thing of the past being cancelled by the present though. But you want the sense of hurtling headlong into the future.

How old were you when auto tune became ubiquitous?

sadmanbarty

you want that ultimately. To have a sense of going forward. I don't think I have that thing of the past being cancelled by the present though. But you want the sense of hurtling headlong into the future.

How old were you when auto tune became ubiquitous?

13 maybe.

the gully vs gaza era is when it takes over dancehall. so one thing i'd be getting listening to this stuff, which you might not hear listening back is a futurism. proper cutting edge cyborg music.

in that sense the tacky instrumentals are unimportant because you've literally got people making sounds you've never heard before with the vocals.

sadmanbarty

the way i remember it is that auto-tune was used in the states on the occasional almost as a novelty at the time and not very effectively whereas the jamaicans were absolutely pushing it to the extreme.

the same spirit as dub producers taking new technology and going lets just focus in on this. foreground it. mess around with it.

i never got that sense from the (admittedly poppy end) of rap around the same time.

luka

It can be hard to listen backwards. If you weren't there. It's very hard to hear the breakthroughs that are being made unless you experienced it at the time.

luka

There's a historical sense. Some people have got it more than others I think. Are better at listening backwards.

sadmanbarty

i would also say this music has to be listened to fucking loud. its titan music. it doesn't explain itself in hushed tones.