sadmanbarty

there's a progression through this pungi-ification thing.

so late-00's kartel does stuff like the "pree the dollar sign thing" and his high pitched, nasally vocal gets an interesting effect out of the auto-tune.

then popcaan emerges and makes his delivery naturally works in that way. a very narrow, nasal voice so you get the thing of him making that effect a staple of his style.

alkaline emrges in the middle of the 2010's and is taking that a bit further. its not just his natural thing, but he's intentionally putting on a voice to get the effect.

then by the end of the 2010's tommy lee sparta's finally become good and he's taking that to the extreme.

sadmanbarty

you've got two bits of the lickle addi dollar sign insrumental.

that first bit that's either like physically wading through a viscous manifestation of your own neuroses or like like gale-force wind straight in your face.

then you've got that plucked bit. a chopped and screwed music box; woozy through the haze of traumatised memory.

luka

version's also been going in over in the jordan peterson thread.

The Europeans (eg Chava) don't really buy into that identity politics stuff they think it's a Anglo American perversion. Some sick backwash of Puritanism and guilt.

version

The thing that annoys me with Peterson is he's just such a blatant loon yet people like chava twist themselves in knots to avoid acknowledging it. There's no way of getting round the fact he stated multiple times that he didn't sleep for 25 days because he drank cider. It's just such a ridiculous thing to lie about that he's either a shameless liar or so whacked out he genuinely believes he broke the world record by fourteen days because he drank some cider. Whichever way you slice it, it's impossible to take him seriously when he's coming out with stuff like that. The whole thing's become a cult of personality.

sadmanbarty

lickle addi is vybz kartel's son (as in little adidjah palmer).

there's all this regal and militaristic running throughout dancehall. kartel runs the "portmore empire". bounty killer is "the general" and runs "the alliance". mavado's the "gully god", masicka "the genocide boss", etc.

kartel calls himself the "world boss" and recently did a song about establishing a world goverment to redistribute wealth, invest in free education, tackle police corruption and to hang pedophiles.

but the metaphorical nature of all this is slipping away. kartel's been near-deified in some quarters. he's now establishing a dynastic thing with his sons and his cousin sikka rymes.

sadmanbarty

oi mvuent, don't think just because i'm tied down in hungarian fart music, you can get away with neglecting this thread. its a tradeoff. i only do euro sound nonsense if you celebrate the global poor threatening to shoot each other in the face ffor my ammusment.