luka

The paradox of that pop smoke thing is pop smoke is rubbish. But he made a great album.

luka

He's one of the worst rappers of all time. It's a unique achievement. He's a curator not a performer.

luka

Just shouting woo over a load of beats that sound exactly the same but cos you love the sound you can't get enough of it. More please. Don't want anyone doing any more than shouting woo. Might ruin it.

luka

That's a good theory it acknowledges that there's this traumatic break which made loads of people go insane and call people gay

sadmanbarty

i've probably told this story a million times before, but both my mum and her boyfriend on different occasions have heard me listening to some modern rap and asked "what type of music is this?" or "what genre is this?".

one time i even said, "you don't think it's rap?" and mum said no.

obviously they're old and grey and aren't hip with the kids, but it is testament to the fact that the music is something different.

sadmanbarty

the wouldn't have asked the same about lil jon or waka or gucci, etc. the biting point would be in the mid-late 2010's. the shift to this new music.

luka

Well I've ruined this thread now sorry. I didn't mean to I just got the bit between my teeth couldn't believe this music had been made. How did it happen?

sadmanbarty

Funny is t it cos from this perspective the voice and it's rhythms are so distinctive and inimitable it will always be dancehall, or always be Jamacia at any rate.

totally agree.

i remember under the aline riddim seeing these old people being all sad that it wasn't dancehall. thought it was strange and thought nothing else of it.

then you sent me that article about trap dancehall and i just thought it was some annoying hipster trying to make big deal out of nothing. just some 808's, not a big deal.

then you watch jamaican talk shows and podcasts and all that and its a hot button topic. is this dancehall?

luka

totally agree.

i remember under the aline riddim seeing these old people being all sad that it wasn't dancehall. thought it was strange and thought nothing else of it.

then you sent me that article about trap dancehall and i just thought it was some annoying hipster trying to make big deal out of nothing. just some 808's, not a big deal.

then you watch jamaican talk shows and podcasts and all that and its a hot button topic. is this dancehall?

For them there has been this traumatic break for us, we're like, it's all the fucking same to me, Jamaicans innit, yard man, lilt, limbo dancing. What's the problem