luka

For those reading along at home

luka

I've got this far. This one has always seemed to me the closest it gets to JHP explaining his method. A kind of ardent patience like, er, the moon...

woops

is not like other people
well, in the interests of research i actually watched Yellow Submarine last night

JH Boob is presented as a character living in the middle of nowhere working on 100 art projects all at once. he talks in rhymed couplets and claims vast knowledge of everything. unimpressed, the fab four are inspired by Boob to sing Nowhere Man which reduces Boob to floods of tears. then they decide to leave him to it.

this classy piece of anti intellectualism is redeemed by Ringo who takes pity on Boob and decides to bring him along for the ride. Boob is kidnapped by the Blue Meanies but Ringo frees him and he helps defeat the Meanies by reading poetry from a book, which causes the chief Meanie to blossom with flowers. So he is a more important character in the story than I was expecting.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Jeremy Hillary Boob was originally named Jeremy Y. du Q. Adams, after Southern Methodist University professor Jeremy DuQuesnay Adams.[2][3] The character of Jeremy was intended as a parody of public intellectuals and polymaths, most notably theatrical director and physician Jonathan Miller, with whom story writer Lee Minoff had previously worked.[4] He is also alleged to have been inspired by Cambridge poet J.H. Prynne.[5]

the article it cites is this https://www.poetryfoundation.org/articles/69662/that-room-in-cambridge

which isn't a great read

mvuent

Void Dweller
royal fern. most of it goes over my head but that one caught my attention. i reckon it's sort of like prynne's "eutow"

luka

yyyyaldrin loves that one too. he made a picture for it. it was a sort of scribble he did in green crayon, green to represent ferns.

mvuent

Void Dweller
the eutow comparison was sort of a joke but not really. the similarities with autechre are a big part of what first interested me about prynne. how people respond to its surface complexity. the obtuseness--is there something there or not?--requires too much patience for most to handle. they give up, but come up with these grand meta-interpretations of the whole project, so that it looks like they get it, like they didn't give up. so you have people like the author of that article i linked who just go, "ah, now i get it, he writes random gibberish in order to draw attention to the contradictions of late capitalism" or whatever. of course the problem is that while these macro-level interpretations can be interesting, they're not real answers. they still don't let you in. whereas we want a way in. to see not just the intellect involved, but also the intuitive creativity and heart.

luka

although i did just get tricked into listening to eutow and it's not nearly as annoying as they usually insist on being

mvuent

Void Dweller
that's the comparison with royal fern. it's the rare moments that immediately hit that give you the sense that there might be something there in even the most difficult stuff