luka

yeah, look, i dont think it matters. he just thinks the world is fucked up and unfair and thats something we can all agree with the marxists on.

sufi

lala
Invention of writing

“Modern man has lost the option of silence. Try halting your sub-vocal speech. Try to achieve even ten seconds of inner silence. You will encounter a resisting organism that forces you to talk. That organism is the word.” William S. Burroughs, The Ticket That Exploded (1962)

sufi

lala
“Modern man has lost the option of silence. Try halting your sub-vocal speech. Try to achieve even ten seconds of inner silence. You will encounter a resisting organism that forces you to talk. That organism is the word.” William S. Burroughs, The Ticket That Exploded (1962)
got that from twitter btw :rolleyes:

craner

Beast of Burden

Blogging Pound’s The Cantos: Canto LV (Plus, What Do Ezra Pound, Robert Howard, J.R.R. Tolkien, H.P. Lovecraft, and Sun Ra Have In Common?)​

This is very, very good. Nice find.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, just read it and really enjoyed the writing even though I skipped the Chinese Cantos, hate Tolkien and haven't read a word of Conan, or Lovecraft.

I hate all that stuff too, but I thought the comparisons were legitimate and creative.

luka

all that stuff is cool but i thought the writing was poor and the point tenuous in the extreme

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, look, i dont think it matters. he just thinks the world is fucked up and unfair and thats something we can all agree with the marxists on.

Well of course you would say that. Britain has no national intellectual culture after all, only anthropological and literary culture.

@suspended gus actually has you lot banged to rights here, he has Parsonian sociology in America, you don't.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The british aversion to a totalised theory of society, of the obsession with discreetness comes out of the fact that our industrial middle class never really deposed the old agrarian aristocracy. Hence Britain has never needed to elaborate a theory of how capitalist society works. Which is why marxism is erroneously conceived as a moralistic theory.

Take for instance Wittgensteinian linguistic philosophy, it can only ever relate particulars to particulars, it has no real way of historicising the seemingly non-rational, the mystical, except to state that these languages are games with their own internal logics. This is well too vague for things and begs the question: what structures the structures?