DannyL

Wild Horses
Just to rewind a second, before we all start insulting each other under the guise of amateur psychoanalysis 'cos we don't agree politically, I was answering a post of Rich's, about why Starmer gets so much hate. I stand by what I said, it's primarily to do with him defeating another faction in Labour's forever wars.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
You and people like you have a monopoly on caring about the lives of other people, is that right?

Wrong question. I'm sure Keith and crew "care". But do they care enough to make meaningful change to improve those lives? Seeing as they seem happy for everything to stay much the same, the apparent answer to that question is "no".

craner

Beast of Burden
Wrong question. I'm sure Keith and crew "care". But do they care enough to make meaningful change to improve those lives? Seeing as they seem happy for everything to stay much the same, the apparent answer to that question is "no".

Ok, so you guys have a higher quality of ‘caring’? The faction with the greatest moral virtue?

craner

Beast of Burden
It seems to me that the movement preceded the manifesto and therefore the policies, including that one, which must have been the best one because it’s the one that is constantly given as an example of Corbynism.

It was the perception of ethical purity and moral virtue that was the core of it. The policies were not instrumental to that and, to an extent, they were even incidental.

craner

Beast of Burden
It seems to me that the movement preceded the manifesto and therefore the policies, including that one, which must have been the best one because it’s the one that is constantly given as an example of Corbynism.

It was the perception of ethical purity and moral virtue that was the core of it. The policies were not instrumental to that and, to an extent, they were even incidental.

Discuss.

DannyL

Wild Horses

Well I think this is evidently true but then again, I would wouldn't I?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If Corbyn had cared more about "changing lives" than about being the big I Am then he'd have accepted that giving the Tories a bloody nose in 2017 was a reasonable high point for his career to end on, and stepped down as leader before his personal popularity started to drop like a stone (or had at least read the room and resigned *after* it began to drop) and it became obvious that Labour wasn't going to win the next election with him in charge.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Well I think this is evidently true but then again, I would wouldn't I?

This is disengenuous. Starmer is just as moralistic as the Corbynites, from the other side. And history will judge him to be even more of a moralist. Compared to an Erdogan or Putin, he has absolutely terrible political instincts. Instead of co-opting the corbyn factions into his own project (which any right leaning politician in Turkey with any sense would have done) he made martyrs out of them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't hate Starmer, but I feel the life draining out of me when I think of or see him. He has the air of a particularly limp Sainsbury's manager.
It's true that he's lacking in the charisma department, no question. But then, Boris Johnson has bags of charisma. It might help someone become the leader of a party, or even PM, but it's an axis that's orthogonal to ideology, I think.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is disengenuous. Starmer is just as moralistic as the Corbynites, from the other side. And history will judge him to be even more of a moralist. Compared to an Erdogan or Putin, he has absolutely terrible political instincts. Instead of co-opting the corbyn factions into his own project (which any right leaning politician in Turkey with any sense would have done) he made martyrs out of them.
I can more easily imagine Diane Abbott replacing Rachel Riley on Countdown than permitting herself to be 'co-opted' by Starmer.