Later Rolling Stones Masterpieces

luka

i'd say ludicrous more than hideous, but in any case it makes any kind of immersion in the music impossible

luka

i just assume people of a certain age didnt know any better.

think the appeal of mick is sort of being in on the joke, you know hes a bit shit, he knows hes a bit shit, but everyones laughing at him trying to go against the absence of god given gifts anyway, that kind of relationship between audience and performer you get on charity talent shows.
two astute judgements here

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also him singing badly was I ASSUME part of their 'rough/dangerous' appeal at the time. Obviously in retrospect it looks a lot more ridiculous but probably at the time it was sort of thrilling to hear him caterwhaul and watch him strut around pouting.

rubberdingyrapids

ludicrous def applies. he knows he cant sing, and theres that tone in his voice of 'lol im going to do it anyway' which is why he often sounds like hes just having a laugh. like a big drunken pub sing along where you know the person cant really sing but you have to give them some credit for having a go anyway and giving it all hes got regardless. most of his slower songs are the absolute worst. sweet black angel is horrendous.

i love johnny rottens voice.

ian curtis couldnt really sing tbh but he didnt wave it in your face as flagrantly as jagger.

i think micks status is just cos people who were young in the 60s cant admit that they were wrong.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That does make me think there's an interesting link perhaps between the way white rock singers sort-of-deliberately sang badly back in the 60s/70s and how you get a lot of rappers now singing unapologetically badly via autotune – there's definitely a link between rock n roll and that new style of rap, as we've discussed elsewhere. It's a sort of punk rock thing of not giving a fuck that you can't hit notes like Usher.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyway the point isn't that white men can't sing lol of course some can but in a certain style of rock music being able to hit notes flawlessly is actually a disadvantage.

luka

i dont find jaggers voice as unappealing as lennons or mccartneys tbf. theyre actively unpleasant in a different way. make the skin crawl.

rubberdingyrapids

That does make me think there's an interesting link perhaps between the way white rock singers sort-of-deliberately sang badly back in the 60s/70s and how you get a lot of rappers now singing unapologetically badly via autotune – there's definitely a link between rock n roll and that new style of rap, as we've discussed elsewhere. It's a sort of punk rock thing of not giving a fuck that you can't hit notes like Usher.
i dont think they deliberately sang badly. i hate robert plant too. but i think many people did and still do think he sung well with power. to me, he was trying to often be a belter, but didnt have the power to pull it off like idk, van morrison or jeff buckley etc (he was prob trying to be a soul shouter type singer like wilson pickett or solomon burke etc). hes better when hes not trying to wallop the song. but theres a diff between not being that vocally able and understanding it and singing to your strengths and singing badly like jagger who sings brazenly badly. rock n roll just prized songwriting over the vocal attributes. these rappers-turned-singers are kind of the same. rnb is/was a vocal-showcasing form.

Last edited:

luka

johnny rotten ian curtis and morrissey all have good voices and are great singers everything corpsey says is wrong.

rubberdingyrapids

tbh i have never bothered listening to much van morrison, i just know people seem to think hes a great vocalist.

jeff buckley was an incredible singer though. shame i only like about 2 songs he wrote.

luka

your not allowed to have any music opinions from now on your absolutely banned. no music opinions for a period
of 5 years. this will be strictly enforced by the moderators. you will have your nob chopped off if you disobey the edict.