thirdform

pass the sick bucket
  1. blogger_logo_round_35.png

SIMON REYNOLDSOctober 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    Talking of psychoanalysis, you really should read Harold Bloom's The Anxiety of Influence. It's a sort of Oedipal theory of how creativity works. To escape the oppressive influence of the dead precursor, the successor poet has to willfully misread the ancestor's work, to find or create "gaps" in it.

What's that thing you love to quote? "I must make my own system or be a slave to another man's"--something like that. Poking imaginary holes in another's construction is not the same as building your own. You're still at the stubborn misreading stage. And unfortunately in this case the precursor poet isn't dead, but still around to dissect your queerly motivated distortions and bizarre projections.

🔥 🔥🔥

noone cares about this shit lmao, it's two old geezers arguing about nothing.

Witness all the jungle ravers who hate mcs, and who hated the transition to garage. I subscribe to the hardcore continuum (and thus take the side of Reynolds) but it always lost people along the way, who would end up rejecting it. It's always been like that.

Muggs, as ham fisted and ridiculous as he sounds, isn't just chatting bullshit out of nowhere, the bullshit is a very real dynamic in the scene, whether you like it or not.

shakahislop

noone cares about this shit lmao, it's two old geezers arguing about nothing.

Witness all the jungle ravers who hate mcs, and who hated the transition to garage. I subscribe to the hardcore continuum but it always lost people along the way, who would end up rejecting it. It's always been like that.
all the dnb kids at school hated MCs

dilbert1

“Danny the wild child,” should I ever have the misfortune of encountering his work, is getting chucked in the bin along with your precious screensaver music

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No one really cares, no, but it'll never stop being funny.

yeah course it's funny in the same way that old heads in oldskool hardcore/jungle groups call garage chav music, just the genteel posh version, liberally peppered with references to blake and psychoanalysis. So yeah it's funny.

It's funny cos Joe inadvertently (without realising or intending to) sounds like the old white raver decrying the chavs, even though he doesn't realise it.

gettit?

version

yeah course it's funny in the same way that old heads in oldskool hardcore/jungle groups call garage chav music, just the genteel posh version. So yeah it's funny.

That's how I felt about garage when I was 9. I grew up a bit and realised it was good when I was 17.

Benny Bunter

yeah course it's funny in the same way that old heads in oldskool hardcore/jungle groups call garage chav music, just the genteel posh version, liberally peppered with references to blake and psychoanalysis. So yeah it's funny.

It's funny cos Joe inadvertently (without realising or intending to) sounds like the old white raver decrying the chavs, even though he doesn't realise it.

gettit?
No, that's not why it's funny.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh, laugh at him all you like, I'm just saying these assumptions of there being no continuum aren't as absurd as this forum might have it.

it's a convenient dilemma and a neat journalist trick to say that the crowds switched to garage because of bukem and the techstep sound, but the historical record doesn't substantiate that. If anything, the crowds switched to garage because of how rote jump up became. Look at the Roast tracklists from '97 - choc-a-bloc full of jump up.

So yeah Muggs is trapped in a false antagonism.